Mathers Museum hosts family craft day

Mathers Museum of World Cultures will host a Family Craft Day making khasmas, milagros and prayer flags inspired by their exhibit.

Family Craft Day will be from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Sunday at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures.

The Mathers Museum holds Family Craft Day about four or five times throughout the year, which are complementary to an exhibition that is being displayed during ?that time.

Families and community members are invited to attend the event inspired by one of the museum’s current ?exhibits “Graces Received: Painted and Metal Ex-Votos from Italy.”

The exhibit is a collection of religious votive offerings, called ex-votos, in the form of paintings and metalwork.

Sarah Hatcher, Head of Programs and Education at the Mathers Museum, said ex-votos are typically given to a saint or divinity after a prayer is answered or a blessing is ?received.

Sunday, visitors will be given the opportunity to make their own religious objects from several areas across ?the globe.

From the Middle East they will be creating khasmas, which are religious symbols used to represent protection.

Participants will be given supplies to make milagros, which are the Latino tradition similar to that of the Italian ?ex-votos.

Instruction on how to create prayer flags, originating from Tibetan Buddhism culture, and Amish hex signs from post-colonial American culture will also be provided.

The session is designed in stations, allowing those who are interested to drop in as they please.

Each station will be set up with a handout providing instruction on the different craft and the materials needed.

Hatcher and her graduate assistant, Samantha Sandusky, will be in attendance at the event to help anyone who needs further instruction.

She said craft days are a good way to get the family out together.

“And it’s a way for families to engage with activities and traditions that they might not otherwise be familiar with,” Hatcher said.

The event is not limited to families; Hatcher said anyone in the community is welcome to participate.

The Mathers Museum will also be hosting crafting projects March 28 at Lotus ?Blossoms.

The last Family Craft Day of the semester will be held April 12 at the Mathers ?Museum.

The Mathers museum also hosts lectures and tours.