Law school creates partnership with Asian and Pacific Islander group

IU Maurer School of Law has joined with the Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund to provide a scholarship and mentoring program to top students in the nation, according to an IU press release.

The program is offered to former undergraduate APIASF scholarship winners who have been admitted to Maurer School of Law. The scholarships amount to around 50 percent of tuition for the students selected. The scholarship could reduce costs by anywhere from $45,000 to $75,000, depending on ?residency factors.

The selected students will also have access to a former mentoring program at the law school.

The main purpose of the partnership is to increase an underrepresented population in America’s law schools, according to the press release.

“The Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund has done tremendous work, providing opportunities to help students go to college,” Maurer School of Law Dean Austen Parrish said in a press release. “They’ve been particularly effective at helping underrepresented and underserved groups. We’re so pleased to be partnering with an organization that has had such an impact, and who have long understood the importance of higher education.”

In addition to these changes, the law school is trying to increase diversity in ?other ways.

Earlier this year, the school created a similar partnership with five women’s colleges to provide scholarships and a mentoring program.

The law school will host its annual Minority Law Day on Feb. 21. This event attracts minority high school and undergraduate students who are interested in an education in law. The school introduces them to educational ?opportunities.

Diversity is a cause the law school wants to commit to improving, according to the press release.

“This partnership is designed to create additional opportunities for deserving Asian American and Pacific Islander students who are interested in a legal education,” said Frank Motley, assistant dean of admissions at the law school. “The legal community and corporate America need law graduates who are made up of the best and widest range of talent. To meet these demands of the profession, the law school must continue to attract a vibrant and diverse community of students to produce the next generation of society’s leaders. This partnership is one small way to ensure that those needs are met.”