academics & research

Law and business schools offer free tax assistance

The Maurer School of Law and Kelley School of Business are offering free tax-filing assistance to local taxpayers through March 28.

Those with an annual income of less than $53,000 are eligible for tax help from trained students in the law and business schools, according to an IU press release. Participants cannot own a business or have received income from selling stocks, mutual funds ?or homes.

The students volunteering for the program are part of the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

Eligible taxpayers can come to the walk-in clinics from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays in Room 121 at the law school. The business school will also be offering “Super Saturday” walk-ins from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 21, March 7 and March 28 in Hodge Hall.

Participants should bring a W-2 form, photo identification, Social Security card and other income source documents. Social Security cards for dependents are also ?required.

Last year, student volunteers prepared more than 600 tax returns. Seventy-five students are volunteering this year and have committed to 10 hours of work.

“This year, we are eager to improve on our past success with a new outreach campaign, a better appointment system and an additional ‘Super Saturday.’ With the help of our exemplary team of Kelley and Maurer volunteers, we are confident this will be our best and busiest year yet,” Joseph Dugan, a third-year law student and VITA student coordinator, said in the press release.