Kelsey Dotson’s record setting day earned a split for IU in day one doubleheader

The IU softball team came away with a split on the first day of the Citrus II Classic.

The first game of the doubleheader put the Hoosiers up against the No. 8 Georgia Bulldogs, a team that defeated the Hoosiers last weekend in California in five innings, 9-1. 

The first run wasn’t scored until the third inning after the Bulldogs hit an RBI single to take a 1-0 lead. But IU quickly responded in the bottom half of the inning on freshman Rebecca Blitz RBI single, which scored freshman Mena Fulton, who reached base on her first career double.

However, Georgia answered the Hoosier counter attack with a lead off home run and two more runs in the fifth inning on a sacrifice fly and passed ball to make it 4-1, a score that would hold as Indiana dropped it’s first game for the second straight week against Georgia.

Senior Miranda Tamayo had a solid performance in relief to keep the Hoosiers in the game, throwing 2.2 innings and giving up only two hits and a walk.

The second game of the day put IU against Lehigh in what would be a hitter friendly game for both teams, in which both teams combined for 29 hits.

IU started strong with RBI’s on Blitz first career triple and then junior Michelle Huber’s fielder choice. However, a five run bottom frame for Lehigh gave them an early 5-2 lead.

In the third inning, a pair of RBI singles from sophomore Erin Lehman and freshman Taylor Uden made it a one run game until junior Kelsey Dotson capped of a six run frame by hitting her second career grand slam of her career.

In her next at-bat, after a Blitz RBI single, Dotson would go yard for the second time in the game to make it an 11-6 game in the Hoosiers favor.

The game would come to a conclusion early in six innings after CaraMia Tsirigos hit her first home run of the year, which was followed by Blitz’ fourth hit and third RBI of the game and Dotson’s seventh RBI of the game.

A run on a pass ball would be all she wrote, as the Hoosiers beat the Mountain Hawks by a final score of 15-7, the most runs scored by IU since Feb. 9, 2013 against Bradley.

Kelsey Dotson’s seven RBI’s tied a single-game program record set by Monica Armendarez against Michigan State on April 24, 1996.

Senior Lora Olson would pick up her second win of the season after pitching 5.2 innings and surrendering just two runs.

The Hoosiers will face off against Georgetown and Mississippi State in day two of the Citrus II Classic.