IU announces spring schedule

IUMSvsMaryland

IU soccer announced six matches for its spring season, four of which will be played at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The four home matches will be played against Indy Eleven on March 3, Louisville FC on March 6, Wright State on April 3 and the Mexico Youth National Team on ?April 21.

The first three matches at Bill Armstrong Stadium will be free to the public. The admission price of the match against Mexico will be announced at a later date.

“Our spring schedule will be a tremendous challenge as we face top level competition,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a press release. “Playing against two professional teams in Indy Eleven and Louisville FC will be a big test for our team.”

The spring season will provide a first look at an IU team that loses three starters from last season in outside back Patrick Doody, defensive midfielder Dylan Lax and attacking midfielder Jamie Vollmer.

It will also serve as the first competition for two IU early enrollees, midfielder Austin Panchot and goalkeeper Cody Jewett. The pair will officially be considered freshmen at the start of the fall season.

“Playing against top level competition this spring will provide our staff and players with a honest evaluation as we prepare for next fall,” Yeagley said in a press release. “The ability to experiment and move our retuning players into new positions and roles will pay dividends heading into next season.”

Indy Eleven just completed its first season in the North American Soccer League and is preparing to start its second season in April.

It features former Hoosier Brad Ring in the midfield.

Louisville FC is currently preparing for its inaugural season in USL PRO.

IU will also play against Notre Dame on April 11 in Fort Wayne as part of the Shindigz National Soccer Festival. IU and Notre Dame played last season where the Hoosiers defeated the Fighting Irish 1-0 in Bloomington.

IU will play Butler at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind., on April 18. Butler and IU played to a scoreless draw last season at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The match will be free to the public.

“Our annual spring match in Fort Wayne with in-state rival and ACC leader Notre Dame will be a great contest with an atmosphere that replicates the fall season,” Yeagley said in a press release. “Our match with Butler up at Grand Park, a beautiful new soccer complex in Westfield, will be an exciting match.”

IU’s last match of the spring season against the Mexican Youth National Team will be the ninth meeting between the two sides with IU winning only twice.

Last season Mexico defeated IU 3-0 in Indianapolis.

“Wrapping up our spring contests against the Mexican Youth National team will be a highlight for our players, fans and community,” Yeagley said. “The game day atmosphere and high level competition have made this match over the years one of the most entertaining events we host on campus.”