Guest composer performs at IU

Emilio Colón(front), American solo cellist and well known international artist, perferms "Paccavi Duo" at Auer Concert hall with Wendy Prober,the founding pianist of the award-winning Viklarbo Chamber, on Tuesday evening.

In front of a small audience, composer and violinist Maria Newman and her husband, violinist Scott Hosfeld, took the stage last night in Auer Hall.

Newman and Hosfeld were the first to perform at the recital Tuesday, which was dedicated entirely to Newman’s work as a composer. The recital is one of multiple events ?centered on Newman at IU.

Newman lectured at Sweeney Hall as a guest composer Monday, and tomorrow, the IU Philharmonic Orchestra will perform one of her pieces at the Musical ?Arts Center.

“We are so thrilled to be guests of IU,” she said before playing.

The composition Newman and Hosfeld began with was her 2001 piece “Appalachian Duets” in A Major, op. 38.

Newman called the piece a collection of “pictures” that ranged from images of “The Train” to those of “Grandpap’s Fiddle.”

Jacobs School of Music student Michael Kim-Sheng said he got the chance to see Newman’s lecture and decided to come see the recital.

Emilio Colón, an associate ?professor of cello at the music school, joined pianist Wendy Prober for the second composition of the night. Prober has worked closely with Newman in the past, recording and premiering several of her works.

Colón and Prober performed Newman’s 2009 piece “Peccavi Duo.” Prober told the audience about the piece’s somber tone and said “peccavi” translates from Latin as, “I have sinned.”

“I have yet to ask Maria what she has sinned for,” she said.

Multiple members of the audience attended the concert in order to watch Colón perform.

Rebecca Bertoloni Meli, a cello student studying under Colón’s wife Cara, said her instructor suggested she go to the recital to see him play.

Chenoa Orme-Stone, senior cello performance major, said she wanted to support Colón, her primary cello instructor at the music school.

“He’s amazing, and the fact you can come to a free concert with a world-renowned musician is awesome,” she said.

The musicians switched on and off throughout the rest of the recital with music school student and violinist Seungmi Sun joining Colón, Newman and Hosfeld for a performance of original music Newman composed for the 1910 silent film “What the Daisy Said.”

During the piece, a projector screen played the old film above the performer’s heads.

This was one of two pieces of original music composed by Newman for old, silent movies. The other arrangement was for the 1909 movie “They Would Elope.” Both films shared the common theme of ?having Mary Pickford as the star and D.W. Griffith as the director. Prober, Newman and Hosfeld performed ?this piece.

Bloomington locals Chris and Mary Albright said they didn’t know much about the recital going in, and they attend a wide variety of music school events. They said they were particularly interested in the film aspect, though.

“It’s new music, or it’s pretty new music, and it’s different with the short films.” Chris said.