Doctoral student awarded fellowship

Kelley School of Business doctoral student Eric Holtzman has been selected as a recipient of the Deloitte Doctoral Fellowship in ?Accounting.

The fellowship, which was awarded to 10 accounting Ph.D. candidates across the nation, provides research funding for the students to complete their doctoral dissertations, as well as their ?final year of coursework.

Schools are permitted to select one student’s application to submit each year. The application takes into consideration working papers, transcripts, potential thesis topics and other criteria.

The fellowship is sponsored by Deloitte, which is the largest professional services network in the world. Through the fellowship, the network seeks to train and maximize the potential of students who are looking to enter the world of business academia.

“(The external faculty selection committee) selects the top fellows based on likelihood of success as researchers and teachers in accounting,” Communications Director of Deloitte Amy Gautschi said.

Holtzman, who received his undergraduate education from Virginia Tech in finance and his graduate education from Johns Hopkins University in economics, arrived at IU after a nine-year career in forensic accounting and litigation consulting in Washington, D.C.

He also took various accounting classes to become a certified professional ?accountant.

During his time as both a student and a consultant, in which he completed extensive investigation work and testified in court regarding litigation disputes, Holtzman developed an interest in academic research in ?accounting.

“I talked to my wife and told her, ‘I’d like to get a Ph.D.,’” Holtzman said. “After a few chuckles, she really suggested that I go after it.”

Holtzman applied to several schools, one of which was IU’s Kelley School of Business. After seeing the campus, he knew it was the right fit for him and his ?family.

“I really enjoy my interactions with the faculty and students here,” Holtzman said. “They have been supportive of my work and have made being a student a great experience for me.”

According to Holtzman, academic research is an integral part of being a doctoral student, and the Deloitte Fellowship’s $25,000 grant will aid in the completion of his doctoral dissertation near the end of his time at IU, which he estimates will take 2 1/2 more years.

“My research mostly looks at how capital markets use accounting information,” Holtzman said. “I investigate the causes and consequences of information asymmetry and when it’s beneficial for those involved.”

Holtzman plans to stay in academics, most likely a large research insitution, after he completes his studies. He said he wants to be a part of a team that instructs and inspires the incoming generation of business hopefuls.