RPS registration to reopen

Registration for housing through Residential Programs and Services opens Jan. 14. RPS provides locations and options sometimes overlooked by returning students on the hunt for the perfect living space.

Students planning to return to their current living space with RPS next fall may register from Jan. 14 to ?Jan. 15.

Pamela Sprong, Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications for RPS, said returning to RPS housing allows students to control the specifics of their location next semester.

“They can get pretty particular about what building they would want to go to, and even what floor or what room they would want to have,” she said.

After moving into Collins Living Learning Center halfway through the first semester of her freshman year, sophomore Sam Schreiner returned to Collins for a ?second year.

The convenience of her location drove her decision to continue living with RPS, she said.

“As I started the apartment hunt, I had grown very comfortable with being so close to campus,” Schreiner said. “I loved the location and knew I wasn’t going to be able to get an apartment that close at the price.”

Although convenient, Schreiner said not having space to herself is a drawback to living in a dorm.

However, a dorm room is not the only living space RPS has to offer. There are several RPS buildings that offer furnished and unfurnished apartments and suite-style living.

RPS apartment styles vary from studio and efficiency apartments to four-bedroom apartments, Sprong said. She said RPS offers contracts that cover the full year, academic year or only one semester to meet each students’ needs.

Social Media Specialist for RPS Rachel Glago said it’s important to promote all housing options on campus and what they provide.

RPS launched the social media campaign #BecauseCampus on Nov. 5, 2014.

Glago said #BecauseCampus is a means of explaining to students what they can get out of living on campus.

Her post on RPS Blog asked students to tweet or post on Instagram and ?Facebook a memory of their favorite RPS moment with the campaign hashtag to win a free knit beanie.

The goal of the campaign is not only to inform students of living options beyond the residence halls, but also to keep more students living with RPS on campus, Glago said.

Schreiner is looking into apartments for next semester and said she will probably not continue to live with RPS because of the price.

However, she said she would recommend staying with RPS to students not yet ready to have the responsibility of living on their own

“When you have different priorities, it’s perfect,” she said.

Students unable to return to their same space can register for housing from Jan. 19 to Jan. 20.

Registration for those wishing to remain in the same building goes from Jan. 22 to Jan. 24, and registration to live in the same neighborhood is from Jan. 28 to Feb. 4.

Registration is open to all students and all RPS ?locations on Feb. 9.