weekend

Paddington has come to town

ENTER PADDINGTON-MOVIE-REVIEW 1 MCT

‘Paddington’

C

Paddington Bear has a rich history dating back to 1958 when Michael Bond worked with illustrator Peggy Fortnum to create and publish the first book, “A Bear Called Paddington.”

Several more books followed and the stories were translated into multiple languages.

Paddington soon found himself stepping out of the pages of a children’s books and into the airwaves in radio broadcasts and later his own animated series on television.

Paddington appeared in toy shops. His story was made into a stage musical and inspired the name of a band in New Zealand, the Paddington Bears. He even has his own biography.

My point is that a lot of people love Paddington.

It was only a matter of time before he got his own major motion picture.

“Paddington” tells the story of a young Peruvian bear who must travel to London to find a new home.

He soon finds that London is nothing like what his Aunt Lucy and Uncle Pastuzo have been telling him all of his life. The people are not as kind as he always believed, and he begins to think he will never find a family to take him in.

Enter the Browns, a seemingly typical British family consisting of an overbearing father, a free-spirited mother, a moody preteen daughter and a clever son who has an affinity for getting himself into trouble.

Things get pretty predictable from there. Paddington causes chaos in the Brown home that ultimately brings the family closer together. Then Paddington is kidnapped by an evil taxidermist who has one of the most pathetic sob stories I’ve ever heard.

It’s all painfully simple and overly adorable. As it should be, since its intended audience is those who just learned to ride a bike.

The film was perfectly attuned to capture and keep the attention of its young audience. The set design was highly eclectic, mixing pastels with vivid colors that complimented the overall bright lighting of the film to create cheery, eye-catching sets.

The wardrobe was done in a similar fashion, mixing modern styles with those of the 1950s, almost as if in an effort to keep the story in the present and in the time period it was first born.

My biggest complaint with the film would concern Paddington himself.

Though his age is never confirmed in the movie, it is clearly implied that he is a young bear. Yet he has the voice of a 30-year-old man because he is voiced by Ben Wishaw, a 34-year-old actor.

I will never understand that poor casting decision, but overall I found “Paddington” enjoyable.

I cannot highly recommend it for people older than 11 or those who didn’t actually grow up with the bear. “Paddington” is geared toward children, and if you don’t have a certain amount of nostalgia with Paddington you will likely find the plot flat and disappointing.

But for kids and the adults who have known Paddington since they were children themselves, it is a perfect addition to the worldwide franchise and will remind you of why you fell in love with the little bear at Paddington station in the first place.

Lexia Banks