Mo' money, no problems

I’m sure you’ve all heard of the importance of having a part-time job on campus. Whether it’s from a tour guide, teacher or parent, everyone seems to think it’s a good idea to have a job during the school year.

As someone who has both had a job and not had a job in college, I’m here to tell you being employed is better in the long run.

For some students, working is a necessity. They must work in order to pay off loans or pay for their room and board for the semester.

Other students may be able to get by through working in the summer and saving to budget throughout the school year. That isn’t a bad idea, either, if you can afford to do so. It teaches you to stick to a budget. However, it also usually results in nervously checking your bank account and realizing how much money you’ve blown on BtownMenus.

The fact of the matter is, students with a job tend to fare better academically.

A study published in the Journal of Population Economics found that students attending a four-year university who work 20 hours or fewer a week had an average GPA of 3.13. The average GPA of nonworking students was 3.04.

I know, I thought that claim was utter nonsense when I first heard it, too. I couldn’t grasp how devoting more time outside of the classroom could help me in the classroom.

But it does. It forces you to prioritize your schedule and know what needs to be done and when.

Having a job also gives you a little spending money, so you’re not always trying to bum some cash in order to buy a refreshing six-pack of smooth Keystone Light. Having a little bit of money can go a long way, especially on a college campus.

In addition, you are introduced to new people. I met some of my best friends through working. You create a pretty special bond working alongside someone for hours on end.

However, there are limits to just how much students should work. The study also found students who worked more than 20 hours a week had an average GPA of 2.95.

The great thing about IU is it offers a wide variety of student employment options, and several of them take your classes into account as to not overwork you. It’s fairly easy to find some part-time work in your field of interest. I’ve found if you like the work you’re doing, it actually doesn’t feel a whole lot like work.

One of the biggest counterarguments to having a job during the school year is that it will ruin the college experience. While everyone else is going out to the killer kegger on Friday, you’re forced to work.

Sure, occasionally you’re going to miss a party or movie or something. It’s inevitable. But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

It’s never too early to start thinking about your résumé and job search. And trust me, an interviewer would much rather hear you talk about your college employment than a kegger you went to.