sports women's basketball

13-0 first-half run sparks IU win

Sophomore guard Taylor Agler dribbles around IUPUI defender Sunday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won 68-55 and will return to Assembly Hall next Wednesday to play Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW).

With about four minutes remaining in the first half, the IU women’s basketball team was barely leading 28-27 against the IU-Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars.

What happened next?

IU switched to a zone defense and ended the half on a 13-0 run that involved four steals and four rebounds compared to the Jaguars’ one.

That run translated to a 68-55 victory for the Hoosiers in Assembly Hall.

IU Coach Teri Moren thought the switch made the ?difference.

“I think it changed the tempo, the pace of the game,” Moren said. “It changed some of the looks they would normally get in man sets.”

IUPUI had 14 of its 27 first half points in the paint. The zone defense that Moren said they had planned on using early in the game made it more difficult for the Jaguars to get good looks.

The Hoosiers had two subpar days of practice this week, Moren said.

Sophomore guard Larryn Brooks sensed this and got the team ready in between shoot-around and game time.

“We couldn’t match the intensity and toughness. We had to exceed it,” Moren said.

“And that starts with your leader.”

Brooks put up 13 points in the game, shooting 3-of-5 from 3-point range.

Freshman forward Amanda Cahill seemed to be involved in every aspect of the game with her 14 points, nine rebounds, three steals and three blocks.

Moren praised Cahill for her consistency and that she is always in the right place.

“That’s who she is. That’s what she does,” Moren said.

The Hoosiers shot 46 percent from the field, as well as 41 percent from deep.

Moren said she was pleased in the balanced scoring attack. Cahill led with 14 points, but Brooks had 13. Freshman guard Tyra Buss had 12, and sophomore center Jenn Anderson put up 10.

IU also shot 87 percent from the free throw line, but the shooting was not all Moren cares about.

“I would like to get there more than 15 times,” ?Moren said.

After a disappointing loss to Indiana State on Nov. 30, the Hoosiers won their first road game of the season against Boston College Wednesday.

With the win, IU improves to 7-1 on the year.

Although it is easy to look at a win against a 2-5 IUPUI team as insignificant, the win had some meaning. This is especially true after losing to Indiana State.

“Any time you play an in-state team, it makes the game more special,” Moren said.