Dead week is anything but

The week before finals is supposed to be free of any big exams in order to give students free time to study for finals week.

But many professors find ways to generate large assignments that are due during dead week that prevent students from being able to study for actual finals.

This is made possible by IU’s “Free Week” policy that states professors are not allowed to assign large examinations during this week but might assign large projects and papers as long as they are planned far in advance.

From my experience, this has caused more harm than good.

Many students fear finals week because of the pressure to study for multiple exams at once and perform well on each of them.

And it’s that pressure that results in students becoming sick from a lack of sleep or trying to steal some Z’s draped over a desk in the ?library.

However, that “free” week is the most difficult week of the year.

The majority of my professors have assigned huge projects and papers during dead week that carry a heavy weight on the final grade in addition to a final exam that takes place during finals week.

This has actually ?created more stress. It feels as if the professors do not respect students’ schedules.

It seems as if professors forget students take more than one class, and many of us have part-time jobs in addition to college courses.

College is not supposed to be a walk in the park.

I understand that college is supposed to be a challenge that generates both academic and personal growth.

However, assigning a weeks’ worth of grade-heavy projects might interfere with ?success on final exams.

Instead of having time to study during dead week, I am burdened and busy with the stress of papers, presentations and projects.

Just when I think I am done, I need to begin studying for finals at the end of it. Dead week turns into a week of sleepless stress, while finals week remains a week of, well, sleepless stress.

One solution to this issue is for professors to assign large projects and papers the week prior to dead week in order to relieve stress and allow more time to study for final exams.

In the meantime, I will refill my coffee cup and keep writing.