weekend

"The Theory of Everything" review

‘The Theory of Everything’

B

Promise me you’ll get 20 minutes into this movie before judging it.

“The Theory of Everything” tells the love story of Stephen and Jane Hawking.

It has a little something for everyone — drama, romance, medicine and science flood the screen and all intertwine themselves so perfectly, you won’t even realize it’s happening.

But seriously, wait until you are 20 minutes into it before coming to this conclusion.

Stephen Hawking, played on screen by Eddie Redmayne, and Jane Wilde Hawking, played by Felicity Jones, meet at a college party.

Relatable, yes. Predictable, absolutely.

Filled with a room of smoke, alcohol, people and classy 1960s Britain, Jane catches the impeccably nerdy looks of Stephen.

She is immediately infatuated with him. Stephen gazes at Jane’s beauty.

And as one could predict, their stares at one another cannot be broken.

However, while their love affair plays out within the first 20 minutes of the movie in all its cheesy splendor, it is quick and thorough, which lets us get to the good stuff.

“The Theory of Everything” really is the tale of true love, the human spirit and the perseverance of it all.

Though it might be somewhat predictable, the plot is played out flawlessly. It really shows the tale of true love and knowing when to let go.

Stephen is diagnosed with a motor-neuron disorder, more commonly known at the time as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, during the peak of his courtship with Jane and of his scientific discovery.

After being told he has two years to live, Stephen goes into a state of deep depression, only to be brought out of it by Jane, who insists they can beat his disease together.

They marry. She supports his scientific endeavors.

Enter the world of black hole theory and theories of the history time and the universe, all of which he will write books and earn fame for.

However, the director chooses to tell the story of triumph over disease and decay of love and does so perfectly.

Stephen has become world-famous with his successful theory, but his condition is worsening.

Enter Jonathan Jones, played by Charlie Cox. Wanting to hate him so much, you just knew he was going to tear apart this family, but does he? Maybe he saves Jane, or rather Stephen allows him to. Maybe he saves Stephen. This is for you to decide.

Don’t expect a battle for love. Don’t expect affairs and slowly growing resentment. Instead, expect to learn a lesson from two passionate lovers who grow to become passionate friends.

Even if you hate science flicks, see this movie for the lesson.

Maybe we can all learn a little bit from Stephen and Jane. Maybe we can all learn to accept the great times and beautiful chapters of our lives that will tie together flawlessly.

Maybe we can all learn that resentment of fate and our exes is just a waste of genius.

Allison Wagner