Wilson: "We've got to score points."

Head coach Kevin Wilson watches from the sidelines as IU loses to Penn State, 13-7, on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson and offensive coordinator Kevin Johns are running out of options.

They’ve tried formation shifts, personnel moves, different quarterbacks and trick plays, but to no avail.

IU’s offense has continued to trend downward since junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld separated his shoulder and was ruled out for the ?season.

The Hoosiers scored 29 points in a loss to Iowa, 17 points against Michigan State, 10 points on the road against Michigan and a season-low seven points last week against Penn State.

IU’s lone touchdown against the Nittany Lions came on defense.

IU’s offense is struggling, and Johns is running out of both time and options to do much about it.

“It’s frustrating,” Johns said. “Because I know what we’re capable of and we know what we’ve done in the past, and we have proof that we’ve been able to accomplish here. But now, it’s just a struggle.”

IU’s last passing touchdown came exactly one month ago today. It was a 13-yard connection between Sudfeld and senior receiver Nick Stoner against Iowa on Oct. 11.

One separated shoulder, three quarterbacks and three losses later, IU is yet to return to the end zone through the air. The Hoosiers have managed just one offensive touchdown of any kind in the last 10 quarters.

Wilson was blunt in saying with this sort of offensive production, IU doesn’t cut it in modern college football.

At this point in the season, he can’t implement any major changes.

IU has what it has. It boils down to whether or not healthy players can execute in the schemes IU already has in place.

“We’ve got to score points,” Wilson said. “With our defense in this day and age, it’s hard to win when you’re below 30 in college ball ... We have to get in the end zone, whether we’re creating defensive opportunities or kicking game opportunities.”

With the pass game struggling, opposing defenses have keyed in on stopping the IU run game, anchored by junior Tevin Coleman. Coleman has been one of the rare consistent offensive weapons for IU all season.

But even he admitted it’s hard to make an impact when he’s rushing against a loaded box of defenders. With no open space, there’s nothing he can do, and his production has suffered because of it.

Coleman’s yards per game have consistently fallen in IU’s four-game losing streak.

In his last four games, his rushing yards per game have dropped from 219 against Iowa to 132 at home against Michigan State, 108 against Michigan and a season-low 71 yards against Penn State last week.

His 71 yards last week was the first time since Oct. 19, 2013, that Coleman failed to eclipse the 100-yard mark.

“We know going into the game what to expect,” Johns said. “We’re going to get the guys keying in on the run — and they should.”

Meanwhile, the Hoosier defense has kept IU within striking distance despite the offense’s struggles.

Freshman quarterback Zander Diamont said after Saturday’s loss to Penn State that the game was slowing down and becoming easier for him, but until production is there, it’s not good enough.

For IU to have any chance of winning its final three games to become bowl eligible, the Hoosiers are going to need production out of the offense.

IU’s first opportunity to get back on track will be against Rutgers at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in Piscataway, N.J.

“It is what it is,” Johns said. “It’s a challenge. We know what’s in front of us. We’re not going to make any excuses.

“We need to help our defense more than we have. So hopefully we can get that done this week.”

Stoner expected back

IU senior receiver Nick Stoner is expected to play this weekend after missing last week’s 13-7 loss against Penn State with a lingering hamstring injury.

Wilson said Stoner tweaked his hamstring during a punt in IU’s loss to Michigan on Nov. 1.

Stoner participated in warmups before IU’s game against Penn State, but after missing practice the week before, Johns decided it would be better for Stoner to sit out.

He’s expected to be ready to go Saturday.

“He looked very good (Sunday), so I would expect him to be back in the mix,” Wilson said of Stoner. “He didn’t have a pull as much as a track guy ... He’s a little gimpy. I think he’ll be back, and from there I think we’re pretty good.”

Rutgers uses bye-week for extra IU preparation 

Just as it did a month ago, Rutgers went into a bye week on a three-game streak.

The length of the streaks is where the similarities end.

Entering the team’s first break, Rutgers was 5-1 and coming off of wins against Navy, Tulane and Michigan, prompting the crowd to storm the field after picking up its first Big Ten win.

Now, Rutgers sits 5-4 after losing three consecutive games and being outscored 135-41 against Big Ten leaders Ohio State, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

Rutgers Coach Kyle Flood spent the bye week getting an early jump on IU film. Thanks to a hot start, Rutgers is seemingly on the fast track to becoming bowl eligible. It needs just one win between IU (3-6), Michigan State (7-2) or Maryland (6-3).

Based on records and IU’s recent struggles to manufacture offense, Saturday’s matchup might be Rutgers’ best opportunity to get the final win it needs to be playing football past November.