Hoosiers looking for a leader

IU-Wisconsin Men's Basketball

The problem can’t be found in any stat sheet.

It’s not indicated in the roster and it doesn’t have to do with advanced saber metric statistics.

It’s not an issue with schemes and doesn’t have anything to do with IU’s lack of height or ?inexperience.

IU’s problem lies in leadership. More accurately, a lack thereof.

Before even a minute of basketball was played, IU Coach Tom Crean answered question after question about IU’s off-the-court struggles and problems.

He sat at a podium in front of a room full of media members. Some columnists had called for his firing in the papers in newsstands around Bloomington that day.

But for 45 minutes, Crean answered every question. Although he spoke at length about the issues his team was facing, his message was concise and clear.

“We’re not doing a great job in leadership at all,” Crean said.

The exact time where leadership became a problem is ?unclear.

It came to public attention first in February when junior forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea was arrested and charged with an OWI and operating with a blood alcohol content of .15 or greater, both misdemeanors in the state of Indiana.

Mosquera-Perea was suspended indefinitely, ultimately missing two Big Ten games before returning to the lineup. Crean said he was also punished within the team until mid-July.

In April, junior guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell and sophomore guard Stanford Robinson were arrested by Indiana excise police and ultimately charged with underage drinking and possession of false identification for trying to enter a sports bar.

Sophomore forward Devin Davis was struck by a car driven by teammate Emmitt Holt on Nov. 1 in the late hours of Halloween night. Holt, 18, was cited for underage drinking and operating a motor vehicle and suspended for four games.

Just days after the car accident, sophomore Troy Williams and Robinson were suspended for four games, as well, for an unspecific incident in the summer. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported that the suspension was for a failed drug test.

The consistent off-the-court problems have caught the attention of IU fans and former Hoosier players across the world.

Former IU stars such as Cody Zeller and Jordan Hulls both encouraged the new Hoosiers to abide by a higher standard. Zeller and Hulls were among the players who set an example for having success on and off the court.

They expected the new players to continue the tradition.

“I understand some of the things that have been said, and personally, I couldn’t agree more,” junior guard Nick Zeisloft said.

Zeisloft, coincidentally, was brought to Bloomington by Crean from Illinois State to bring improved shooting and leadership to an IU roster in lack of both.

“They’re correct and we need to follow that example,” Zeisloft said.

IU has no seniors. Zeisloft is the oldest on the team but is spending his first season in Bloomington.

Juniors Mosquera-Perea and Ferrell are the most experienced Hoosiers, but even they have run into problems.

Both have mentioned needing to be leaders on and off the court.

Crean’s normally calm and uneventful radio show was full of finger-pointing and fans questioning Crean’s job. Former ?Hoosier player and coach Dan Dakich publicly critiqued Crean and what is taking place in the program on his radio show.

But still, Crean has remained calm. He’s upset about what is happening, but said over-punishing, yelling and cursing won’t help things.

He said on his radio show that he would take the blame on his shoulders, but ultimately the players will be the ones who will be making choices and bringing the leadership to the team.

Crean added that when recruiting, if a player can’t be prepared to accept the responsibilities he needs out of his players, he won’t ask them to come to IU.

“We’re going to continue to do everything we can do to get decision-making to improve, to get immaturity to become maturity,” Crean said. “Does that mean everybody’s gonna make it here? Maybe not.”

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on  Twitter