Republican stronghold in Ind. complements takeover of U.S. Senate

Voters in Indiana and across the nation decided to make Indiana and the 114th U.S. Congress a little more red.

All nine incumbents for the House of Representatives were re-elected Tuesday during the midterm elections. Winners kept their districts with anywhere between 54 and 70 percent of the votes.

These re-elected representatives will be part of a Republican-dominated Congress.

Though Indiana did not have any large ticket items on this year’s ballot, national attention was focused on various senatorial races, in which the Republicans took the most victories.

Thirty-six of 100 Senate seats were contested Tuesday. Eleven winners were Democrats.

Six of those Republican victories were in Montana, South Dakota, Colorado, Arkansas, Iowa and West ?Virginia in previously Democratic states.

For most of President Obama’s time in office, the Democrats have had control of the Senate. This transfer of party power gives the Republicans the majority in both the Senate and the House.

In the 113th Congress, the Senate was split between 53 Democrats, 45 Republicans and two ?Independents.

All 435 seats in the House were up for election Tuesday and increased their seat count to retain the majority. Seven of the nine representatives in Indiana are ?Republicans.

According to a Gallup poll released Monday, 29 percent of registered voters in the United States believe the country would be better off if Republicans controlled Congress, compared to the 27 percent who believe America would benefit from control of the Democratic party. 40 percent believe America would be the same regardless of the party in charge.

The Louisiana Senate race and two representative races resulted in ties.

U.S. senators are up for election every six years. With this new transfer of party power, the party control of the Senate could retain until the next midterm election in 2018.

Politically, this may be a difficult final two years for President Obama with a Congress dominated by the opposite party.

State races across the nation were also run by Republicans. Thirty-seven states had gubernatorial races that resulted in a majority of wins by Republican governors.

Republicans also dominated Indiana statewide races. Incumbents Connie Lawson and Suzanne Crouch retained their respective Secretary of State and Auditor of State positions. Republican Kelly Mitchell won the Treasurer of State race, adding to the sweep of Republicans and creating a victory for women in the statewide races.