Kassig's parents speak out, remember son

Paula and Ed Kassig, parents of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, who was recently beheaded by Islamic State militants, speak to media at Epworth United Methodist Church in Indianapolis Monday afternoon.

Paula and Ed Kassig, parents of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, the Indiana native reportedly executed by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, broke their silence Monday afternoon at Epworth United Methodist Church in ?Indianapolis addressing members of the media.

Ed, standing at the podium alongside Paula, spoke of the support that has been shown to his family .

“Our hearts, though heavy, are held up by the love and support that has poured into our lives these last few days,” he said.

Kassig had served in the U.S. Army in Iraq in 2007 before returning more recently to the Middle East with Special Emergency Response and Assistance as an aid worker in Syria, according to the Associated Press.

He was captured in October 2013 in eastern Syria.

It was during this time that Peter Kassig reportedly converted to ?Islam and adopted the first name Abdul-Rahman.

ISIS released a video Sunday that purports to have beheaded Kassig, among others. This video’s authenticity was confirmed by the White House on Sunday.

Shortly after 3:30 p.m. Monday, in the Epworth lobby, Paula and Ed Kassig approached a podium to address the sea of reporters in front of them.

Paula said she remembered her son fondly.

“In 26 years, he has witnessed and experienced firsthand more of the harsh realities of life than most of us can imagine, but rather than letting the darkness overwhelm him, he has chosen to believe in the good in himself and in others,” Paula said.

As she spoke, Paula also reaffirmed her faith.

“Our hearts are battered, but they will mend,” Paula said. “The world is broken, but it will be healed in the end, and good will prevail as the one God of many names will prevail.”

Ed Kassig asked for prayers for his son and ?others.

“Please pray for Abdul-Rahman, or Pete, if that’s how you know him, at sunset this evening,” he said. “Pray also for all people in Syria and Iraq and around the world that are held against their will.”

Pat Engel, the diaconal minister at Epworth, also shared memories of Kassig.

As a child, Kassig attended Epworth, and he was active in Sunday school, youth group and Bible school.

Kassig was a risk-taker from his early years and was not afraid to push boundaries, Engel said.

“That risk-taking DNA that he had enabled him to go places and do things that some of the rest of us don’t think we have the courage to do,” Engel said.

As a young man, Engel said Kassig was always very polite and humble, but if he felt something was important, he went after it.

When Kassig went to Syria, the Epworth community wasn’t surprised, but they did fear for his safety.

“Our decision was to pray him safely there,” Engel said.

When word got out of Kassig’s murder, the feelings in the community were of shock and grief.

“Yesterday was a hard day,” Engel said.

However, Engel said she believes Kassig’s death, in a way, evoked positive changes back home by opening Muslim-Christian dialogue.

“Peter went to Syria to make a difference, but he’s also making a difference here,” Engel said.