Italian music group to perform at Back Door

Italian electronic music group JoyCut will perform from 9 to 11:30 p.m. tonight at the Back Door bar, located on 207 S. College Ave. The show is free and open to patrons 21 or older.

JoyCut was formed in 2004 in Bologna, Italy, and is on its second United States tour. The trio consists of Pasquale Pezzillo on vocals, electronics, keyboards and guitar; Gael Califano on percussion and keyboards and Giannicola Maccarinelli on drums.

JoyCut’s music is “electronic, post-rock and dark-wave, often experimental but accessible,” according to a press release from the group. Pezzillo, who is the songwriter, said its music combines different elements that form a whole.

“It’s a mixture of millions of things,” Pezzillo said.

He said the inspiration for their music is varied because each member of the group has a unique taste in music. Pezzillo said styles such as new wave and industrial can be heard in JoyCut’s music, along with influences from musicians such as Nick Drake and Pink Floyd.

“We are searching for our own style,” Pezzillo said.

In addition to performing music, JoyCut has another objective. The group is working on its campaign “Ghost Trees Forest” that is focused on creating a sustainable future through “eco-packaging.” The group’s albums are made with recycled paper and biodegradable material.

Nicci Boroski, co-owner, general manager and events coordinator at the Back Door, said she hopes the community will come to the performance.

“I don’t know that people really know who they are, which is why we decided to make it a free show — to expose Bloomington to some international acts and something that maybe they haven’t heard,” she said.

The venue at the Back Door features a variety of performances, including drag, burlesque and local and touring bands. Boroski said JoyCut contacted the Back Door and expressed interest in the ?location.

Pezzillo said he is excited to play in Bloomington, adding that he would like JoyCut’s music to leave audiences with a particular feeling.

When people listen to the group’s music, he said, he would like them to close their eyes and think about the important things in life. He said in our society people often focus on superficial aspects of life, such as “fake friends” or “where to go for dinner,” but he would like their music to serve as “an intimate journey inside yourself.”

“We have to stop and think about the real sense of life,” Pezzillo said.