Davis remains in serious condition

Sophomore Devin Davis

IU sophomore forward Devin Davis had an “up and down day” recovering in the IU Health Bloomington Hospital on Monday, after being struck by a car driven by freshman forward Emmitt Holt early Saturday morning.

An audibly shaken IU Coach Tom Crean said that Davis still has his speech and memory on his radio show Monday night.

Crean was holding back tears as he spoke about ?Davis.

He took his time speaking, pausing as he searched for the right words to say between optimism and uncertainty for Davis’ future.

“Everybody is confident that he’s going to get better, but there’s no question we’re in a process here,” ?he said.

Davis, 19, was struck by a car driven by Holt, 18, after entering onto 17th street just outside Memorial Stadium on Oct. 31.

The impact with the vehicle left Davis unconscious with a head injury when first responders arrived.

Holt was cited for illegal consumption and operating a vehicle with a BAC above 0.02. He had a BAC of .025.

“I sincerely regret my actions and I understand that I must be held accountable to the high standards that coach Crean and IU have set for all of us,” Holt said in a release.

“I want to apologize to Coach, to my teammates and to the entire IU community for not living up to the expectations that this program and university deserve. I will work hard in the coming days, weeks and months to become a better man and teammate.”

Crean showed his support to Holt, but also announced he was suspended for the first four games of the season.

“We have a young man in Emmitt Holt who made a mistake ... it could’ve happened to anybody and he’s extremely fortunate, as is Devin,” Crean said. “You don’t like the action, but you don’t stop loving ?the person.”

Crean said that Davis’ play on the court had been improving in the weeks leading up to the accident.

“Devin had his best week of practice last week,” Crean said. “Now he has to have a great week of getting healthy.”

Immediately after the radio show, Crean planned to return to the hospital to be with Davis.

Davis’ father has been spending time with Crean and the team at practice during the recovery ?process.

“Nothing, nothing, nothing is worse than having to prepare a family for what I was a part of the other night,” Crean said.

Crean said Davis is experiencing pain while recovering and taking medication.

The entire team is supporting Davis’ recovery.

“Our team is hurting big time,” Crean said. “We know mistakes were made but our team is hurting big time."