Update: Davis awake, health improving after being hit by car

Sophomore Devin Davis

Sophomore forward Devin Davis is awake and has full use of his extremities as of Sunday, according to an IU release.

Davis, 19, has been at IU Health Bloomington Hospital since early Saturday morning, when he was struck by a car driven by freshman forward ?Emmitt Holt, 18. Davis’ status was listed as “serious” when first admitted with a head wound.

“I am glad to report that Devin is doing better this morning and has benefited from uninterrupted rest,” Dr. Larry Rink said in a Sunday update. “His speech is normal and he has the use of all extremities.”

No further details were provided regarding Davis’ condition or when he might be discharged from the hospital.

IU Coach Tom Crean expressed a positive outlook on ?Davis’ situation.

“Too often in life, we all take for granted the simple tasks of opening our eyes, processing thoughts and putting a simple sentence together,” he said in a prepared statement. “In our program, we routinely emphasize to our players that everything matters and watching Devin improve just over the last 36 hours has furthered our belief in that ?approach.”

Holt dropped Davis off in the Memorial Stadium parking lot around 12:45 a.m. Saturday morning, according to the Bloomington Police Department.

Holt reportedly turned onto 17th Street where his vehicle struck Davis, who had entered the road for reasons unknown.

Davis was unconscious with a head injury when first responders arrived.

The vehicle took damage to the front passenger side fender and windshield, according to BPD. At that point, Davis was transported to IU Health Bloomington ?Hospital.

Holt was cited for illegal consumption and operating a vehicle with a BAC above 0.02. He had a BAC of 0.025.

“First and foremost, our thoughts are with Devin and his family and we pray that his condition improves in the coming days,” Crean said in a prepared statement Saturday. “An injury to one of us is an injury to all of us, and we are devastated by the news. We will continue to support Devin and Emmitt in every possible way, and I know the Hoosier family will come together to rally for these young men. We are working to gather additional information on the accident.”

Davis, a 6-foot-7 forward, averaged 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 8.8 minutes per game last season.

Holt was a late signee to the Hoosiers who opted to come to Bloomington instead of attending prep school.

The previously scheduled Haunted Hall of Hoops took place as scheduled, but the open practice and scrimmage were postponed.