Union Board to host Zombie 5K

The Union Board Body and Mind Committee is hosting a Zombie 5K on Saturday to promote physical health on campus and raise money for Middle Way House in Bloomington.

Students are encouraged to dress up as zombies for the Halloween-themed course. Director of the Body and Mind Committee DeAnthony Nelson said the idea for a zombie-themed course came from the TV show “Walking Dead” along with Halloween.

“We were thinking how Halloween was coming up and we wanted to have an event for it,” Nelson said. “I looked around at what some other schools have done and thought of the ‘Walking Dead,’ so we incorporated the zombie theme without the violence and killing.”

The non-competitive run/walk will take place Saturday in Dunn Meadow. Runners will take off at 5 p.m., and walkers will begin about 10 minutes later.

“The main purpose is to have a fundraiser event for Middle Way House within the Body and Mind Committee,” Nelson said. “This will serve our community and be something fun for the students.”

Middle Way House is a secure shelter for women and families who are victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.

This will be the first 5K Union Board has hosted, Nelson said, adding he hopes it won’t be the last.

The Body and Mind Committee is one of several Union Board committees.

The committee is dedicated to promoting physical health and wellness and educating IU students about sexual and mental health, nutrition and personal safety.

There will be volunteers dressed as zombies and other characters along the course.

Nelson said there will also be Halloween decorations and creatures jumping out at participants.

The 3.1-mile course will begin at Dunn Meadow and will go through Sample Gates and around Seventh Street, ending back at Dunn Meadow.

Immediately following the race is a zombie-themed after party in Dunn Meadow with a costume contest, dance competition, caricatures, free food, games, balloon artists and a rock-climbing wall. The Live From Bloomington Committee is also hosting DJs and the Atomic Dog Brass Band.

“This is a service for the community and campus with a bigger focus on health and wellness,” Nelson said. “This promotes physical health — to be active in a 5K and have students on their feet for a long period of time.”