You shall not pass...if you have Ebola

As Americans, it is our duty to protect our borders and defend ourselves against the threat of Ebola.

In light of the African crisis, we must be vigilant in identifying persons of interest who intentionally or unintentionally seek to threaten the lives and livelihoods of the American people through disease.

First, people of certain hues and ethnicities carry a predisposition to harboring the disease in their bodies.

In addition to those coming in from the West African coast, persons of interest should include other foreigners, including those who appear to have African descent.

Images of the outbreak circulated by the media show the majority of victims who have died from the disease have been of African ancestry.

Identifying persons of interest based upon racial and ethnic characteristics does carry the possibility of racial profiling.

However, as the greatest nation on Earth, the United States is well-equipped to train law enforcement on race ?relations.

Ferguson is one of the many successes that illustrate our nation’s capacity to build the bridge of camaraderie between the races and unite under the common identifier of “American.”

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Rob Portman, R-Ohio, are leading the fight to protect our land by calling for a closing of our borders to flights coming in from Ebola-stricken ?countries.

While the action may cause an adverse effect on the fight against the virus both domestically and overseas, the greatest nation on Earth has a right to protect itself from the forces of biological evil.

A second group of interest that America must monitor in the fight against the evil disease is Central American ?children.

The influx of 70,000 children crossing our southern border has placed the undue burden upon our country to care for these minors.

In our benevolence, President Obama’s administration has set aside 4,000 slots in the refugee status program for Latin American and Caribbean children.

However, the threat of Ebola has made their presence in this country an issue not only of immigration, but also of national security.

U.S. Rep. Todd Rokita, R-Ind., recently called attention to the fact that we do not know the health status of these undocumented minors.

Two hundred and forty-five of them are already residing within Indiana state lines.

In our willingness to take care of these children, we may be giving Ebola a safe haven in our backyards.

It is our duty to prevent the outbreak from crippling our nation by returning the children to their families and sealing our borders.

The United States sets the precedent for the manner in which other countries will respond domestically to the threat of Ebola.

Our contributions of funds and personnel show our commitment to help our fellow ?human in need.

However, we must remember that not everyone on this Earth supports American ?ideals.

By closing the borders, we can ensure that true Americans are protected from the Ebola virus.