Meet the candidates for Monroe County prosecutor

Republican Jacob Moore is challenging incumbent Democrat Chris Gaal in the Nov. 4 midterm election to be the next prosecutor in Monroe County.

The prosecutor is tasked with promoting the general welfare and safety of residents. They are also responsible for filing charges against individuals. Here’s a look at the two candidates.

Chris Gaal (D)

Gaal has served as prosecutor since 2006. He has lived in Bloomington for the past 30 years, having attended IU for both his undergraduate degree and Juris Doctor. After law school, he worked as a criminal defense lawyer in Bloomington.

Gaal said his experience qualifies him for another term as prosecutor.

“This election is about experience and community leadership,” Gaal said. “I’m the experienced candidate with a proven record of community leadership.”

Gaal said one of the main focuses of his time as prosecutor is on crime prevention and education. He said his office worked closely with IU on two campaigns, “Get a ride!” to raise awareness on drunk driving and “Got Consent?” to raise awareness on sexual assault.

In addition to his education programs, Gaal said he is a capable trial lawyer and has handled high-profile cases.

“I’ve done the work; I’ve been effective,” Gaal said. “I’m the experienced candidate with a proven record of community leadership.”

Jacob Moore (R)

Moore received his J.D. from Texas Tech University School of Law after attending Ball State. After graduating law school in 2009, Moore moved back to Indiana to pursue his legal career.

Moore said his experience as a trial lawyer has helped qualify him for the position.

He said he believes drug-related crimes should be prosecuted differently from violent offenses.

“In some cases, justice is going to be merciful,” Moore said. “If you have a non-violent drug offender, treatment makes much more sense than prison.”

Moore also said he believes the county should not prioritize minor consumption cases as much as it currently does.

Moore said while he does not encourage underage drinking, he doesn’t believe the county should put too much emphasis on it.

“I think that everyone who calls Monroe County home, whether that’s permanent or just for a few years, I think it’s important that everyone has equal access to justice,” Moore said.