education

MCCSC trustees approve $4 million project

Trustees for Monroe County Community School Corporation voted Tuesday to unanimously approve a $4-million project to replace outdated technology at Bloomington high schools.

The technology infrastructure project was also discussed at a work session Oct. 14 and will include purchasing and installing equipment for a stronger wireless network at the high schools, as well as mobile devices for each high schooler.

MCCSC also plans to distribute iPads to each elementary and middle school student as part of its one-to-one technology program, which means a device for every student.

According to board documents, the project is expected to cost $4 million total, no more than $2 million to each high school.

It will be funded by bonds issued on behalf of MCCSC for up to $3 million as well as loans and grants from the state.

Trustees also voted unanimously to approve the proposed 2015 MCCSC budget, totaling $112,259,309. That includes about $1.4 million for bus replacement funds and just less than $69.3 million for the corporation’s general fund.

Cyrilla Helm, executive director of Foundation of Monroe County Community Schools, presented an update about the foundation’s fundraising efforts.

Helm said Foundations is finalizing a $28,000 grant with the Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association, to be used for MCCSC schools in the enterprise zone. She told trustees those funds would go to Tri-North Middle School and Fairview, Summit and Templeton elementary schools.

The trustees also heard an update on state academic standards and testing, presented by Director of Elementary Education Tammy Miller and Director of Secondary Education Jan Bergeson.

When Indiana pulled out of Common Core standards this spring, the state was required to create a new test.

Bergeson demonstrated practice assessment questions for the board, saying it may be difficult for students to tackle multiple practice questions at a time.

“The standards are a lot more comprehensive,” she said. “In depth of knowledge, they’re at the ?upper end.”

Miller said MCCSC has pinpointed the most important standards for students in the update so teachers and administrators know what to focus on.

“We take all the new standards from the state and ... decide what’s most critical for our students’ learning,” Miller said.

The next regularly scheduled board meeting will be at 6 p.m. Nov. 18 at the MCCSC administration center on North Drive in Bloomington.