Local music showcase benefits food pantry

A local music showcase will take place Friday night at three different venues around Bloomington.

“Bloomingtone” was created by Business Careers in Entertainment Club Music Committee, a group of students who have met weekly to put on the showcase for students and local community members.

The group started in the summer and has booked more than 30 local bands to perform at Bear’s Place, Quaff On Bloomington and Rhino’s All Ages Club.

Entrance to the concerts are $5 or $3 with a canned food donation. All proceeds benefit Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard, a local food pantry in Bloomington.

“They believe all people should have full access to healthy food,” IU sophomore Zowie Genender said. “They think it’s a basic human right, and we agree with that.”

Genender got involved with “Bloomingtone” her first semester at IU and has remained a part of the cause ever since. She studies arts management and said she wanted to get involved with the showcase to expose students to the local talent Bloomington has to offer.

“A lot of our peers are in bands on top of going to school and working,” she said. “We want to expose people to the music around us.”

“Bloomingtone” will also be featured Oct. 25 at Max’s Place, Bear’s Place and Quaff On Bloomington. Each venue is organized into different genres, Genender said.

Rhino’s will feature dance and electronic bands, Quaff On will host different acoustic groups and Max’s and Bear’s will play rock, bluegrass and funk music.

Friday’s lineup:

Bear’s Place

7-7:45 p.m. Before the Streetlights

8-8:45 p.m. Atomic Dog Brass Band

9-9:45 p.m. Stepsuns

10-10:45 p.m. Hail Bison

11-11:45 p.m. Alright, See Ya

Quaff On Bloomington

9-9:45 p.m. Lexi King

10-10:45 p.m. Sarah Loughran

Rhino’s All Ages Club

7-7:30 p.m. DJ French Toast

7:40-8:10 p.m. Sleepy Face

8:20-8:50 p.m. Nick Rivera

9-9:30 p.m. Distinct and Rhetoryk

9:40- 10:10 p.m. Vista Kid Cruiser

10:20-10:50 p.m. Pete 33

11-11:30 p.m. Lil Sushi