Living a green lifestyle

Finding ways to reduce environmental effect can be a challenge for the average college student.

Luckily for IU students, there are many ways to be more eco-friendly on and off campus.

Emilie Rex, assistant director of sustainability at the IU Office of Sustainability, works on student initiatives.

Rex said students need to focus on reducing the resources they use.

She suggests students take shorter showers to reduce water consumption.

People in the United States use 1.2 trillion gallons of water per year while showering, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Another resource students consume frequently is electricity. According to IU’s Integrated Energy Master Plan, 73.1 percent of the energy used at IU is electric.

Conserving energy and water would not only benefit the environment but also help reduce students’ bills. Utility bills are typically separate from rent.

Patricia Peng, a former intern at the Office of Sustainability, had a straightforward message concerning electricity usage for students.

“If you’re not using it, unplug it,” she said.

For living on campus, Peng encouraged students to take part in helping dorms reduce energy consumption.

“Tell your RA if something isn’t running right,” she said.

Students can go beyond their apartments and dorms and help the environment by using alternative transportation.

Visit the IU Office of Sustainability’s website at indiana.edu/~sustain for more information regarding living a greener lifestyle and ways to conserve energy and finances.