?Jay Leno coming to IU Auditorium

NUP_136391_0244

Tickets are still available for those interested in watching Jay Leno’s stand-up comedy show at 8 p.m. Friday, according to IU ?Auditorium.

Made famous by NBC’s “The Tonight Show,” Jay Leno’s version of the 1950s-era program featured a nightly monologue (the longest in late night), news-making guests and ongoing comedy segments, including “Headlines,” “Jaywalking” and “Battle of Jaywalking All-Stars,” according to the corporation’s website.

Leno had the No. 1 position in late-night ratings for decades, according to IU Auditorium.

He completed his 22-year run in February 2014 as host of “The Tonight Show,” with his farewell episode drawing in a record-breaking audience at more than 14 million viewers.

He was honored by the Television Academy with an Emmy for “Outstanding Comedy, Variety or Music Series,” according to its website.

Leno has become one of the most beloved stand-up comedians, according to IU Auditorium, with a “tongue-in-cheek humor that is warm, relatable and playfully pokes fun at pop culture and current events.”

The “king of late night” will return to his stand-up comedy roots Friday for an evening of “yuks, guffaws and downright fun,” according to IU Auditorium.

IU Auditorium’s Assistant Director Maria Talbert said she is excited to be one of the first venues to welcome Leno back to the stage.

“It is an honor for him to take his well-deserved place on our list of fabulous comedy performances,” she said.

Leno is not the first comedian to entertain IU’s student audience.

“IU Auditorium has a long history of presenting high-caliber comedians,” Talbert said.

Iconic comedians preceding Leno’s IU debut include Jerry Seinfeld, Sarah Silverman and Bill Cosby.

However, before the man himself hits the stage, the evening will be opened by an acoustic performance from Charlie Jesseph, an IU biology graduate and faculty guitar instructor in the Jacobs School.

Jesseph performs in local Bloomington venues such as Topo’s 403, Scotty’s Brewhouse and Crazy Horse. He’s now making his way to a larger ?audience.

“The wonderful thing about Mr. Jesseph’s performances is that, like Jay Leno’s comedy, it appeals to a wide variety of audiences,” Talbert said. “His acoustic music highlights the best qualities of soul, funk, pop, rock and more, so there will definitely be something for everyone to enjoy.”

Tickets are priced between $35 and $70. Tickets can be purchased at the auditorium’s Box Office or online.

The IU Auditorium implements a “come as you are” environment, Talbert said.

“Although you may see patrons dressed to the nines, there will also be plenty in jeans and sneakers, so feel free to attend in whatever makes you feel like you,” she said.

With local music, the presence of a comedy legend and the IU Homecoming game, there will be plenty going on this ?weekend.

“We are excited that Mr. Leno’s performance coincides with Indiana University’s Homecoming,” Talbert said. “It’s a special treat to be able to welcome through our doors students, alumni and their families, who are not always in town, to experience a show with us.”