sports field hockey

Hoosiers drop two games over weekend

spFieldHockey

The IU women’s field hockey dropped both of their games in a weekend home stand to No. 2 Maryland and No. 7 Louisville.

IU could not withstand a dominant first half from the Terrapins, losing Friday’s contest 8-2.

Maryland (14-2, 6-1) scored its first goal of the game early in the first period by a penalty stroke from Anna Dessoye.

In a span of five minutes, just a little less than halfway through the first period, the Terrapins scored four goals. Maxine Fluharty’s shot was rebounded and knocked in by Carrie Hanks.

Less than a minute later, Dessoye scored her second goal of the game, her ninth of the season. The assist was credited to Katie Gerzabek.

Gerzabek and Dessoye then assisted Sarah Sprink, who scored off a penalty corner to give Maryland a 4-0 lead. Just 27 seconds later, Welma Luus scored her third goal of the season to extend Maryland’s lead to 5-0.

Things got worse for the Hoosiers as senior goalkeeper Maggie Olsen had to be helped off the field with a shoulder injury. After being examined, she was able to come back into the game.

“She fell on her shoulder so she was in some pain, but she was able to come back in because she’s a competitor,” IU Coach Amy Robertson said.

IU scored late in the first period on a goal by junior midfielder Karen Lorite off assists from junior midfielder Brigitta Haller and senior midfielder Caitlin Bearish.

IU trailed Maryland 5-1 going into the half.

The Terrapins continued exactly where they left off, connecting on three goals in the second half, extending their lead to 8-1.

IU freshman midfielder Taylor Pearson recorded her second-career goal for the Hoosiers in the 58th minute to close the gap to 8-2.

“I got a great pass from Caitlin, and I was looking for Morgan out wide, but she happened to hit the defender’s foot and got a good bounce, and I took it to the net,” Pearson said.

IU showed signs of life toward the closing minutes, but the game was already out of hand, and Maryland won ?decisively, 8-2.

“Maryland is a veteran, powerful, national championship contender team, and they played like it today,” Robertson said. “They didn’t take their foot off the pedal at any moment of that game and demanded us to fight for 70 minutes.”

It was the Hoosiers’ fourth-straight loss, dropping them to 9-7 overall and 1-6 in the Big Ten.

IU will close out the season at Rutgers on Friday.

“We feel disappointed, but we’re angry,” Robertson said. “That’s the kind of energy we can take into the rest of the season.”