Q&A with the Bowling Green News football reporter

Bowling Green’s BG News football reporter, Cameron Robinson, answered questions in advance of Saturday’s game between IU and Bowling Green. 

He discusses the quarterback change, Bowling Green’s offensive weapons and how the Falcons defense matches up with the Hoosiers offense.

IDS: Junior quarterback Matt Johnson came into the year as a potential MAC Offensive Player of the Year and probably the most important player to this team. What does this team lose with him being out for the rest of the season?

BG News: Well, the one thing you can’t overlook is the chemistry Matt Johnson had with the other players on offense and with receivers like Ryan Burbrink, Heath Jackson and running back Travis Greene. He also had a very good handle of the offense and the tempo that (Coach Dino Babers) wants to bring over.

Other than that, I don’t think there is a big talent gap between him and (James Knapke) besides the knowledge of the offense. Actually, before Matt Johnson won the starting role in 2013, I thought that Knapke should have been the starter. Johnson obviously proved me wrong, though.

IDS: Redshirt sophomore James Knapke has taken over the starting quarterback spot. He is a young, inexperienced player compared to Johnson, who started the final 13 games last season. How does the change affect the Bowling Green offense?

BG News: The offense looked great against VMI, but that is an FCS team, not a Big Ten defense. The running game is the running game, and that will not change. They will look to Greene and Fred Coppet to set the tone for them and open up defenses.

The passing game I think has since opened up a bit more with Knapke at the helm. He has a better arm than Johnson, and that was shown with some of the deep shots they took against VMI. That feeds into the talented, speedy receivers the Falcons have on the perimeter. All Knapke has to do is let his receivers win the foot race, and he can get the ball out to them.

Taking all of that, he is still inexperienced, so we don’t know everything he has to offer yet. The offense isn’t changing because he is the quarterback. Coach Babers and the staff have made that certain.

IDS: Bowling Green is 1-1 coming off games against Western Kentucky and the Virginia Military Institute. How have these games helped or hindered them from being prepared for Big Ten competition with Indiana and Wisconsin coming up in the next couple weeks?

BG News: One thing they have said after the Week 1 loss is how much that game has humbled them. They came into the season hearing how good they are supposed to be, and that got to their heads.

I don’t think any of the games have helped them too much to prepare for Indiana and Wisconsin because you can’t compare a Sun Belt and FCS team to two Big Ten teams that are completely different in their game plan.

It’s more inward. They know what they have to do now, and they are paying a lot more attention to the details of each team.

IDS: What about the IU offense is most concerning to the Bowling Green defense?

BG News: Plain and simple, it’s their explosiveness. In the press conference today what Babers and defensive back Darrell Hunter talked about was that explosiveness. The players remember being at Indiana and seeing 35 points unanswered going up, and, even without Houston, Latimer and Hughes, they know this offense is explosive.

Babers also made sure to talk about Tevin Coleman, even calling him an “NFL guy.” The Falcons have been good at stopping the run this season, but they know none of that matters until they see what happens Saturday afternoon.

IDS: This will be our second chance to see the new IU defense in action. Who are some players to watch on the offensive side of the ball for Bowling Green?

BG News: On the offensive side of the ball, honestly, that could be anybody on any given day. I would make sure to look for a big day from Travis Greene. He just seems to be one of those guys that steps up the most when the Falcons need him and, without Johnson,  they do need him.

Greene’s backup Fred Coppet has looked pretty good so far this year, and he seems to make a big play right when they need it.

Freshman receiver Roger Lewis has been huge for the Falcons this year, and his speed mixed with Knapke’s arm is always something fun to watch.

Lastly, I’m personally expecting a good day from Knapke. Last week was a solid performance for him, and I think he will look even better this weekend. Now, whether that turns into a win or not is up in the air. I think people will be surprised at the performance he puts on the field Saturday afternoon.