Q&A with IU football lineman Dan Feeney

Sophomore offensive guard Dan Feeney returned to the playing field Sept. 30 against Indiana State for the first time after missing all of last season with a foot injury suffered in preseason camp.

Feeney adds even more depth to an IU offensive line roster that has combined for 135 career starts.

The offensive line set the foundation last season for IU setting a school-record 6,102 total yards per game. Healthy again, Feeney will be part of a group aimed at improving on that number this season.

In advance of Saturday’s game against Bowling Green, Indiana Daily Student football reporter Sam Beishuizen caught up with Feeney to talk about IU’s bye-week, the offensive balance and Bub’s Burgers.

Q You guys are coming off an early bye week. Were you able to do anything different with the day off from playing?

A We got an extra off day, which is really good. It was needed, you know. Just a little extra rest.

We still had some nice, tough physical practices getting ready for Bowling Green and Missouri and games down the line like that, but nothing really changed.

Q The bye-week fell on opening weekend for the NFL season. Did you get a chance to see any of those games?

A Yeah, definitely. I definitely watched the NFL.

I’m a die-hard Bears fan, but they lost, so that kind of stinks.

Q What’s sort of the mind set of this team after week one where you guys were primarily a run-heavy team? Is that something your pushing at all or will there be more balance this weekend?

A I guess it just comes down to what they’re going to do. Whatever they’re going to do, we’re going to try and take and go with that.

If they’re dropping eight, we’re going to try and run the ball, and if not, we’ll pass.

But we’re definitely going to try and be a two-way offense.

Q Coach Kevin Wilson has made some noise lately with the slip-n-slide video and his ALS Bucket Challenge. Is that what he’s like with you guys? It seems like he’s a bit more outgoing out there than when he’s up in front of the media.

A Yeah, he’s definitely outgoing. He’s a good guy. He really cares about us.

He’s really oriented on family and like, being a single unit. Every decision he makes is for the team and is the best decision for the team.

Q Before the season I know a lot of the players went to Bub’s Burgers. Did you go and do the Bub’s Big Ugly challenge? (The Big Ugly Burger Challenge consists of a 1.5 pound hamburger.)

A I came in, I think it was like third or fourth in the pound burger challenge. It was pretty fun.

It was a lot, man. I was definitely full after that thing.