Local co-op gallery turns 35

entByTheHand

By Hand Gallery turned 35 last Friday.

Opened in 1979, the gallery is a cooperative one in which a small community of artists gather to sell their work under one roof.

By Hand Gallery, which is in Fountain Square Mall, sells handmade works of art varying from jewelry to pottery to handmade textiles.

Jack Forney has worked with the gallery for 33 years. He and his wife make jewelry in 14-carat gold and silver.

Forney said it is uncommon for a gallery to last this long.

The cooperative business model has not been studied much compared to other business models. However, a 2008 study on Canadian co-op success rates by the University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives found 44 percent of co-ops survive after 10 years. But what about 35?

What was key, Forney said, was his co-op’s perseverance.

“We’ve had some rough times,” he said. “It’s about the desire to make this work.”

Forney said he was initially hesitant to join By Hand Gallery because they had bad experiences with co-ops in the past. He was in his thirties when he joined.

Working with one group of people helped keep the gallery afloat, Forney said.

A group of six or seven couples have been with the group since the beginning. “We’ve been together so long,” he said. “Our kids have grown up together.”

Of course, times were not always easy. In the earlier days, Forney said there were more tensions when people got territorial over the gallery space.

The gallery has not always lived in Fountain Square Mall. Forney referenced disputes with previous landlords.

Jim Halverson is a potter who has worked with the gallery for 33 years. He said the gallery is now in its sixth ?location.

The gallery is always evolving, he said. Compared to the high rate of turnover in gallery life spans, he said the key to By Hand’s success was its ability to stay fresh and new.

It also helps that this constantly changing atmosphere keeps the artist’s creative ?juices flowing, he said.

“A big part of it is the work,” Halverson said. “For me, I’m always experimenting.”

In the last 35 years, Halverson said his style has not changed. An aspect or two might have, such as the pottery’s glaze, but certain ?techniques are locked in.

You want people to see your art and recognize your handiwork, he said.

Halverson said he enjoys working with By Hand Gallery overall.

“Having that core group of people helps keep people afloat,” he said.

Forney said it feels like all the artists grew up together. What makes By Hand Gallery work so well is the time they’ve spent together, he said.

“We’ve realized what’s important and what’s not ?important,” he said.