sports women's soccer

IU women's soccer looks to pick up points

IU coach Amy Berbary wants to see more of what senior Abby Smith did last Sunday.

Smith has been hampered by a pair of ear infections that have been bothering her in games.

During IU’s 2-0 loss against Illinois last Thursday, Smith had to be taken out of the game because of the pain.

But when IU needed a goal against Northwestern, Smith scored on a header in overtime despite her injury.

“That’s the type of grit and effort that we need to sustain,” Berbary said. “It was pure effort. We need more of that.”

IU will look to pick up a few crucial points this weekend against No. 13 Wisconsin at 7 p.m. Friday and against Minnesota at noon Sunday, both at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Wisconsin (8-1-0, 2-1) comes to Bloomington having suffered one lone loss on the season.

The Badgers have outscored opponents 25-3 this season, with the team’s lone loss coming in the final second of a 2-1 loss to Michigan on Sept. 14.

Wisconsin leads the conference in points (66), goals (24) and is second in shutouts with six.

IU’s offense has only managed two goals in its four Big Ten games so far this season.

IU’s two conference goals have both come on set pieces, which the Hoosiers have been emphasizing in practice as of late.

Players have been working earlier with assistant coach Benji Walton taking free kicks. Each player does about 10 repetitions at various positions on the field.

“It’s been good for us,” senior defender Tori Keller said. “It’s just good to get a few of those in.”

Those free kicks could create the scoring opportunities IU will need to take advantage of against a Wisconsin team that has played well defensively this season.

But despite the Badgers’ ability as of late to lock down opposing offenses, she said she is confident IU can take advantage of its opportunities.

“It’s going to be a game of execution,” Berbary said. “They may have the better of the ball, but we’re going to certainly get in. It’s a matter of what we’re doing with the ball when we get into the final third.”

IU’s second game of the weekend comes against a Minnesota (4-5, 1-2) team that has been consistently in the middle of the Big Ten statistically across the board.

Minnesota is listed as the fifth-best scoring team in the conference, but the Gophers are averaging 1.5 goals per game when a 10-0 drubbing of Stetson is taken out of the equation.

The Hoosiers currently sit 11th in the Big Ten standings with nine games to play.

Although it is still early, IU sits one point behind Maryland, who holds onto the final spot in the Big Ten Tournament.

Berbary said the upcoming weekend would be a crucial one for IU to ensure it doesn’t dig itself into too deep of a hole to climb out of later in the season when teams begin to be eliminated from the playoffs.

The Hoosiers are 106th in the RPI rankings, meaning an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament will require a few more résumé building wins.

“We’re only guaranteed nine more games,” Berbary said. “It would be huge. Right now, where we’re sitting, every game matters. We need to play like it’s our last.”