IU sophomore launches fashion blog

Fashion blogger and IU student Claudia DiCapua updates her blog daily, looking to create a site that she describes as "pushing versatility in fashion."

With the Internet making it possible for almost anyone to create a start-up, website or project, the forms of media in which we receive our news has been making a dramatic shift.

The same goes for fashion news and advertising.

Although print publications are still prevalent and some quite popular, more and more people are turning to the more personal, interactive form of fashion media: blogging.

While there will never be anything quite like opening a brand new issue of my favorite magazine every month, following a fashion blog definitely has its appeals.

Anyone can start one, and each one has the potential to grow exponentially, many to the point of making a profit or crafting a career out of it.

Through mass followings and advertisers and companies who want their products featured on a well-known blog, it can become a pretty serious business.

YouTube beauty blogger Zoella reaches millions of viewers with her videos.

Leandra Medine created one of today’s most successful fashion blogs, “The Man Repeller,” as a journalism student living at home.

IU alumna Jessica Quirk has had a very successful career with her style blog, “What I Wore.”

Each one had to start small.

Now millions of fans follow them, anxiously awaiting their latest post.

While many blogs stay true to their voice, when it comes to advertising and company offers, it can be tempting for bloggers to have ulterior motives or fall victim to what a company wants them to feature.

Cross-promotion often time plays a huge role in the success and, for some, the content of their blogs.

I spoke with Claudia DiCapua, an IU sophomore who recently started her own fashion blog and is working to reach a wider audience across the campus community.

Originally from just outside of New York City, DiCapua said she grew up around the influence of the fashion industry.

She plans to eventually work in it, which serves as part of the inspiration for her blog.

She began her blog just last month after reading and following several other fashion blogs online.

“If I have an interest in what they’re doing, why can’t I do it?” DiCapua said in regard to creating her blog.

Perhaps one of the biggest draws for blog readers is the closer connection they feel to its writers and creators.

“I like to have a conversation with my readers,” DiCapua said. “Under each photo I will try to put a caption about what is going on or include tips. But mostly it’s written like I’m talking face-to-face with the reader. I like to joke around and be a little sarcastic to keep it light-hearted.”

Many have a smaller, niche audience, but they can provide something that won’t be found in large, mass-produced publications.

It leaves room for growth and promoting the next big thing, whatever that may be. And to all of the bloggers out there — more power to you.

Visit Claudia’s blog at claudiadicapua.com  for more information.