sports men's soccer

Hoosier soccer back in national conversation

IUMSvsSLU

Indiana men’s soccer is a staple for consistency in the college ranks.

The soccer program is the best in the country — and the numbers say it. IU has the most wins in the NCAA tournament of any division one soccer team in the country, the highest winning percentage in the NCAA tournament of any school and has the most College Cup appearances (18) in the nation. Not to mention the team has won eight national titles, second most of any school.

“You come to Indiana and you hear about the history of the soccer program and what it means to wear the Indiana badge and represent the men’s soccer team,” freshman defender Grant Lillard said. “You come here wanting to win a national championship every single year.”

Last season, the team didn’t meet expectations. After starting the year No. 1 in the country, the team finished with the first losing season in school history. This year, after starting the season unranked, the Hoosiers have put themselves right back into the national conversation.

IU (6-1-3, 1-1-1) will enter play on Tuesday at Louisville as the No. 16 team in the country. They have been as high as No. 11.

IU beat the team with the most national championships Wednesday as the Hoosiers topped the No. 8 Saint Louis Billikens 3-1.

“There are 18 championships between the two (schools),” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “There are a lot of proud alums out there tonight. This is a big game for them. I feel that, being a part of this program from my young years. It’s been a rivalry game, it’s the reason why we keep scheduling this game. Their coach gets that too. This is important for both programs, a lot of history, a lot of great players in these matchups, and they’re typically good games.”

A young team with 10 freshmen, the Hoosiers put the pieces together early as they tied No. 7 Georgetown and beat No. 12 Marquette to open the season, before winning their next two games.

The lone loss came in the Big Ten opener against No. 4 Penn State and has since tied at zero with in-state rival Butler, beat Rutgers 2-1, beat Central Florida 4-2, and after giving up a late goal to Northwestern in the 89th minute, tied the Wildcats at 1. The four goals against UCF was the highest goal total since October 23 of last year when the Hoosiers beat Evansville 4-2.

“I think that the group has done well,” Yeagley said. “It’s a pretty young team, we have guys in new roles, 70% of our scoring is gone (from last year) and it’s clear that we’re trying to find ways to get those goals.”

IU has 8 matches remaining, including five in the Big Ten. Three of the remaining games will be played at Jerry Yeagley Field in Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The Hoosiers have spread out their scoring, as eight different players have combined for the team’s 14 goals. Sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson leads the team with three goals, while junior midfielder/forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen, senior defender Patrick Doody and junior midfielder Jamie Vollmer all have two goals.

“It’s been a good start,” Lillard said. “We’ve bonded really well together, we’re starting to really play well with each other, and our team defending is fantastic.”

Getting shut-outs, or getting bagels as the team calls them, has been a focus of the team this season, and it has started with the strong defense in front of sophomore goalie Colin Webb, who has allowed seven goals this year through 10 games.

“Defense, team defending allows you to win championships,” Yeagley said. “There’s secret to that. You look at any team we’ve had here and that’s been a part of the DNA of those groups.”

The team’s next home game is Sunday, Oct. 19 when the Hoosiers play Maryland in a conference match.

“I think the team is playing well, things are coming together,” redshirt sophomore Derek Creviston said. “We still have some work to do, but overall I’m pretty pleased with how things are going.”