Wilson announces week one depth chart

IUNavy Football

IU Coach Kevin Wilson announced his week-one depth chart Monday in preparation for the Hoosiers’ first game at noon Saturday at Memorial Stadium against Indiana State.

The lineup features seven freshmen as either first- or second-string, including five on the offensive side of the ball.

Among the freshmen listed is a trio of freshmen receivers — Dominique Booth, Simmie Cobbs and J-Shun Harris — who have garnered praise from senior wide receivers Nick Stoner and Isaiah Roundtree throughout camp.

“The freshmen are the real deal, man,” Roundtree said of the trio. “It gets hectic, man. We go fast. But these freshmen are definitely going to play, and they’re going to play at a high level.”

Stoner said he was impressed with the young players’ ability to come in and learn IU’s complex offense.

He said their transition into playing roles has been quicker and smoother than expected.

“Those guys came in just ready to learn,” Stoner said. “They’ve done a great job learning, and that’s what’s going to help us. Because the less you have to think, the more fast that you can play. Those guys are doing a great job of that, and they’re ready to play football.”

Two starting positions are still undecided heading into opening weekend.

At tight end, redshirt junior transfer Michael Cooper and freshman Jordan Fuchs are listed as co-starters.

On the defensive side, sophomore Ralphael Green and freshman Nate Hoff are listed as co-starters at nose-tackle.

The backup quarterback job is also still undetermined.

Junior Nate Boudreau has more experience with the offense, but freshman Zander Diamont is listed along with him as a second-string option.

Next in line to replace four-year starter and current Denver Broncos kicker Mitch Ewald is freshman Aaron Del Grosso. As a senior at Hobart High School in Hobart, Ind., Del Grosso hit 16 of 20 field goals and was a perfect 42 of 42 in extra points.

Wilson said he was pleased with how healthy his team was coming out of camp, but he noted that senior linebacker Steven Funderburk and freshman running back Tommy Mister will miss the entire season due to injury.

“Fortunately, those are two positions where we’ve got six running backs on scholarship and a lot of linebackers,” Wilson said. “You don’t like it for those guys, but I think the team will have the depth to overcome that.”