Back to basics

Barring a few exceptions, each IU freshman is required to live on-campus for at least one year.

Freshmen hear all sorts of horror stories, from friends and graduates, before arriving on campus.

The rooms are tiny. They’re too hot, too cold. There’s a family of small meerkats living in ?a dresser.

Many stress about their living conditions, but I find that, while dorm rooms are not the equivalent of living in a sky-rise overlooking the beach, they’re not half bad either.

There’s a lot IU can do to improve student housing, but until such time, to all my freshmen coming into town, here are some tips and tricks.

After all, while there are protests and marches to change things around here, it’s important to remember that we all live or have lived on campus, and there are some things you can do to make your stay better.

Remember that we’ve all been there. Stressing or complaining about the residence halls won’t make your living experience any better.

The food court is your friend. The food the dinning court has to offer is not a five-star meal. It can be quite appealing though, and complaining about it will just annoy upperclassmen.

And after roughly a month of eating at the various dining locations, you begin to take for granted the convenience of being able to walk across the street and get a hot meal in no time at all.

After living off campus, I can assure you that it beats having to buy groceries and cook your own meals any day of the week.

And the c-stores. How could I forget the c-stores? Snacks, sandwiches and drinks just a swipe of your card away.

Become friends with the people on your floor.

You don’t have to be friendship-bracelet-wearing-BFF’s, but knowing their names and a little about them will make life easier.

Going up and introducing yourself to them will save you a lot of awkward hallway encounters.

Generally, they end with somebody mumbling “hey” and trying to avoid making eye contact.

Also, everyone is a student. If you’re struggling with a course or need someone to study with, you have an entire network at your fingertips.

This is something you will lose after you leave the residence halls, so take advantage of it while you can.

I promise the resident assistants and IU Police Department are not out to get you. Contrary to popular belief, RA’s do not want to write you up.

It’s a ton of paperwork and conversations for them.

As long as students aren’t being overly rambunctious or spray painting Miley Cyrus lyrics on the wall, the RA’s will go on their way.

Same can be said for IUPD. They understand students are going to drink and, well, be students. As long as the students aren’t making a scene, the cops won’t say a word.

It’s easy to point out all the negatives of living in a residence hall. There’s a lot of negatives, and a lot to fix.

But people tend to forget all the benefits that residence halls provide ?as well.

Worrying about living in a dorm won’t make your situation any better, but it can make it worse.

As someone who lived on campus for two years, I can assure you, it is better than you initially believe.