IU Alumni return for panel discussion

RTV6 investigative reporter Kara Kenney, Indianapolis Star social media editor Carrie Ritchie and Indianapolis Business Journal managing editor Cory Schouten will make up a panel to offer career advice to students at 4 p.m Thursday at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union.

The panel, part of this year’s Homecoming events, is a joint effort by the IU Alumni Association and the journalism school’s alumni relations office. 

Alumni Program Officer for Spirit, Pride, and Tradition Mike Mann said the IUAA wanted to feature young alumni panelists who graduated and went on to work in their chosen field.

“Given that the School of Journalism is going through some change right now, we thought it would be great to have some journalism grads come back,” Mann said.

Mann said moderator Caroline Dowd-Higgins of IUAA Career Services will ask the panelists a series of prepared questions for 45 minutes to an hour.

Most of the questions will be about panelists’ time at IU and the lessons they learned at school, which helped them in their current careers, Mann said. 

They’ll be asked for class and extracurricular recommendations based on their own experiences.

Kenney, who received her Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism in 2001, said he’ll recommend students get involved in other extracurriculars in addition to student media to expand their knowledge.

“Journalism school was critical in me becoming a good reporter, but I believe it was all the ‘other’ activities at IU that helped me become an even better reporter,” Kenney said in an email. “You just have to figure out what things will help make you more well rounded and jump on it.”

At the end of the panel the floor will be open for student questions for about 30 minutes.

Prior to the panel, there will be a reception with refreshments so students can meet with panelists.

The reception will take place in the Georgian Room in the Indiana Memorial Union. 

Kenney said it was helpful for her to hear from alumni when she was in school, and she wants to encourage students to enjoy every moment of their IU career.

“When you’re in college, you’re kind of in your own little bubble,” she said. “Hearing from alumni helps you realize ‘Hey, what I’m learning in these classes is really valuable and will actually help me out in the real world.’”