IU Art Museum glows at night

entMidsummerNight

Originally built as a temporary fixture to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the IU Art Museum, the “Light Totem” paints with light, using the museum’s wall as a canvas.

“It’s fun having a palette that’s the size of a building,” said Robert Shakespeare, a professor of lighting design in the Department of Theatre and Drama who designed the piece.

The totem became an iconic on-campus fixture, especially at night.

“There’s typically a small gathering of students ... It seems to be a place where if somebody’s walking by they’ll pause for a minute or two, like a campfire,” Shakespeare said.

Originally the “Light Totem” was only planned to be in place for a few months. A few months grew into a full year, and then, as it won charm, it stayed even longer.

When the piece was first erected, there were some people who questioned the ?environmental impact of a giant pole of light, IU Campus Art Coordinator Sherry Rouse said.

However, it uses LED lights so the entire system uses no more energy than the street light that stood in the light sculpture’s place prior to 2007, Shakespeare said.

Shakespeare, who also programs the lighting sequences for the piece, said the programs are based on two- to three-minute segments, each of which is in a particular sequence to tell a particular story.

Shakespeare said he thinks the mesmerizing jewel tones of the piece make the campus beautiful, even at night.

A few days before the grand opening, Shakespeare said a man came by with a little girl as he was testing the piece out.

“She just stood there staring at it, and her comment was ‘It’s magic daddy. It’s magic.’” Shakespeare said. “I think people enjoy a little sparkle in their lives.”