Harvick wins Brickyard pole

SPEEDWAY, Ind. - Kevin Harvick was dominant in Brickyard 400 qualifying Saturday, setting a new track record and sweeping all three qualifying sessions to win the pole for the Crown Royal Presents the John Wayne Walding 400 at the Brickyard.

Harvick posted a fast lap of 188.470 miles per hour to claim his fourth pole in the Sprint Cup Series this season. The Stewart-Haas Racing driver also sat on the pole and won the Brickyard 400 in 2003, a feat he will look to repeat Sunday.

"I feel good about where everything's at," Harvick said. "If we get behind, I think our cars fast enough to make up for it but the track position is definitely important. We just have to make good decisions throughout the day and as few mistakes as possible and see if it all falls our way. But the cars capable of doing what it needs to do."

Four-time Brickyard 400 winner and Indiana native Jeff Gordon was second quickest in qualifying at 187.770 miles per hour. Brad Keselowski was the third fastest.

Defending race winner Ryan Newman qualified 4th. IndyCar regular Juan Pablo Montoya was 8th. Dale Earnhardt Jr. will roll off 23rd and 2012 winner Paul Menard will start 29th.

"Today I was wondering what Kevin had, because he's got us all beat and we all have the same data we can tap into," Gordon said.

Everyone will be following Harvick to the green flag Sunday. As a kid growing up in Bakersfield, Calif., Harvick looked up to hometown hero Rick Mears and watched as he captured four Indianapolis 500 titles.

Though Harvick doesn't drive open wheel cars, racing for a Brickyard 400 trophy is as close to following in his childhood idol's footsteps as he can get.

"It's not very often you get to somewhat fulfill your childhood dreams," he said. "I really feel lucky just to be driving around the track."

Harvick's quick run in qualifying left a few drivers scratching their heads trying to figure out where his dominant speed came from. When the green flag drops tomorrow at 1:22 p.m., everyone will be chasing Harvick's No. 4 Chevy.

"It's always scary when Kevin is fast in qualifying," Keselowski said. "When Kevin qualifies well, you know he's probably going to be a dominant car."