Free masks workshop open to community

Masks

The art of mask-making is a deep-rooted tradition in human culture. The practice of this art precedes the convenience of ceramics and certain other materials.

While the practice of the art has evolved since masks were made of stone, they continue to serve many functional, ritual, entertaining and artistic ?practicalities.

As part of the annual Lotus Education and Arts Foundation outreach program, Sam Bartlett will instruct two “Masks Around the World” workshops.

Bartlett said it was the puppets of Bread and Puppet Theater pageants that initially stirred his interest in mask-making.

Some of the puppets at the theater pageants Bartlett described stood as tall as 20 feet, and most had some sort of satirical reference to politics with apocalyptic ? connotations.

“The shows would feature hundreds of papier-mache masks and characters made by Schumann and hundreds of volunteers,” Bartlett said. “I was fascinated by this explosion of creativity and ?expression.”

Following his initial inspiration, Bartlett set out to study the details of how to make a mask by studiously observing the techniques set forth by the Bread and Puppet crew, as well as asking them questions.

“They would always tell me, ‘Do whatever works. Don’t be afraid to try things. We use staple guns, duct tape, cardboard, string ... you name it,’” Bartlett said.

Once, while performing a gig in Vermont — Bartlett ascribes himself a musician by trade — he seized the opportunity to meet Bread and Puppet creator Peter Schumann to further discuss his new-found trade.

For the upcoming workshops, Bartlett will impart his knowledge of making heavy paper masks in two different methods.

One way Bartlett intends to teach the art is by using fixed plastic for the framework. The other way will demonstrate how to make masks with strips of cardboard. Regardless of the framework, the masks will be layered with ?papier-mache.

“If we can get enough finished masks, we’ll have a mask parade after the second workshop on July 13,” he said.

Lotus outreach director Loraine Martin said these workshops will incorporate community involvement.

“Both adults and families are welcome,” Martin said. “Also, the art that is created will be part of the Arts Village installation at our festival coming up in ?September.”

The art will be on exhibition Sept. 19-20 at the Arts Village. The showing will be free to the community.

Martin said that other outreach organizations, such as Stone Belt, Boys and Girls Club and Prism Youth Community, have partnered with Lotus to contribute to this year’s Arts Village ?installation.

“I am under the belief that we all have creativity within us,” Martin said. “And I feel the arts are really for everyone.”

Bartlett said he has both played music for the Lotus festival before and designed artwork for the parades.

“It is unbelievably satisfying, creating a giant face,” Bartlett said. “You become god in a way, working the face into existence. I have made hundreds of masks. They’re never the same.”