Mini University provides college courses

CAROUSELcaMiniUniversity

Adults from all walks of life and educational backgrounds will experience life as an IU student through the 43rd annual Mini University this week.

The five-day event allows attendees to customize a course schedule with classes from a variety of disciplines that range from arts to international affairs.

Participants can take up to 15 classes.

“It’s a very collegial, all for one and one for all kind of project where you see all these different disciplines coming together to spotlight IU,” IU Lifelong Learning director Betsy Watson said.

Mini University began in 1972 as a summer learning program exclusively for IU alumni that included a children’s camp.

While the kids’ activities have been discontinued, the program has expanded to include non-alumni.

“Of the people that come, many people have sort of adopted IU as their university,” Watson said.

According to IU Lifelong Learning, the program boasts a 72 percent return rate among participants.

More than half the participants possessed at least a master’s degree in 2013.

Marjorie Hershey, a political science and philanthropic studies professor, said she notices the difference in the level of knowledge and interest between the Mini University participants and her undergraduate students.

“What my undergrads consider to be history is a part of the life experience of my Mini University students,” Hershey said.

In 2013, more than 60 percent of Mini University students were 71 years old or older.
Although the program is similar to an undergraduate experience, many Mini University students seek an experience that’s different from their undergraduate years, Watson said.

“You know, when you’re in undergrad, there’s still so many requirements that you don’t have a lot of extra time to explore things,” she said.

Professors participating in the program must present new classroom material for the students every year.

Hershey said she hopes through her presentation, she can help participants think more broadly about the American political atmosphere.

“The current party polarization leads a lot of adults to view people with different attitudes as being wrong or even dangerous,” Hershey said. “But when we understand the reasons for differing views, we can better offer the mutual respect that a
democracy requires.”

Although Mini University lasts only one week, many students continue absorbing the material presented in the classroom by independently corresponding with their professors.

Jeanne Madison, director of Mini University, said the students’ passion to continue learning is at the heart of the program’s mission.

“That’s what we hope for — that they will become energized and more involved and continue learning,” Madison said. “I mean, that’s what we’re all about — lifelong learning.”