Kelley program preps high school students for world of business

CAROUSELcaKelley

Envision coordinating a non-profit music festival while incorporating an effective strategic business plan.

Now envision presenting that strategic plan in 15 minutes.

Sixty high school seniors are participating in a new program called Meet-Educate-Experience-Transition to Kelley, formerly known as the Junior Executive Institute.

During this weeklong program, the students are introduced to the Kelley School of Business, informed of the opportunities available, participate in campus activities and participate in a professional case competition, said Brittani Wilson, staff director of Kelley Admissions and director of MEET Kelley.

The rebranded program targets high-achieving high school seniors from
historically underrepresented racial minorities.

The business school’s admissions office said it hopes it is able to recruit the MEET Kelley students and increase diversity, Wilson said.

To be considered for the program, applicants must be a high school students finishing their junior year and have a minimum 3.4 GPA.

The students’ primary academic goal while attending MEET is the case project.

During the week, the students receive lectures from Kelley School of Business professors covering a range of business topics culminating in their final presentation.

Students are then expected to incorporate different components into their final business strategic plans.

“It’s more useful to them, rather than learning stuff in the abstract out of a textbook, to be presented with a project and to learn these business concepts in order to accomplish that task and complete the project,” said Tim Lemper, clinical professor of business law and MEET Kelley lecturer.

“You’re creating the interest and desire for them to learn, because they need that information and knowledge to solve a problem.”
Many of the MEET Kelley students appreciate the interactive heuristic approach to learning.

“I like how it gives you hands-on experience,” MEET Kelley student Steven Austgen said. “It gives us real life examples and propositions of exactly what we’re going to be doing when we get into business.”

While the students primarily focus on developing and honing their business plans, they will get an opportunity to experience some cultural aspects of IU.

They will explore Kirkwood, receive a tour of the athletic facilities, view a play, bowl in the Union and partake in a campus-wide scavenger hunt.

MEET Kelley is mutually beneficial for the students and IU because diversity on campus and in the classroom enriches the college experience for everyone, Lemper said.

“We get a richer learning environment when you can assemble a group of students that can bring a variety of experiences, talents and cultures,” Lemper said. “Being exposed to other people’s backgrounds and perspectives is a way of broadening your horizons.”

The MEET Kelley participants come from variety of geographic locations, representing eight states and Puerto Rico.

MEET Kelley is not a co-ed program. The program is divided into two separate sessions. The women’s group attended the program this past week.

Second-year participant Jeremiah Hilliard, 17, says he notices the transformation of students after shortly after starting the program.

“Within a couple of hours of working on our project case, it’s like each kid is becoming a legit consultant,” Hilliard said. “I really believe they are transitioning us into Kelley students.