academics & research

Board of Trustees meeting to be held at IUSB

The IU Board of Trustees will convene Thursday and Friday on the IU-South Bend campus.

IU-Bloomington will seek approval from the board for several construction projects, according to the agenda.

Assembly Hall is on that list.

Its renovation is planned to restructure the south lobby with new ticket windows and an atrium. Escalators will be installed to replace the existing ramps. Box-seat-style seating and event space will also be added.

The project is estimated to cost $35 million, which will be obtained through gift funds, according to the agenda.

Sembower Field is another prospect for renovation, which might be converted into a lighted sports complex.

The remodeling will include installing synthetic turf fields, upgrading existing turf fields and remodeling the building’s amenities.

The Board will only grant permission for the design of the project at the meeting.

The design of a new Northwest Gateway, located on the intersection of 45/46 Bypass Road and Dunn Street is also up for approval.

IU-Bloomington seeks to create an arc of limestone that ends in a wall with 10-foot engraved letters of the IU name.

The University also wants permission for the design of a new house for Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

Constructing the new building involves the relocation of four buildings and the demolition of two structures. The new home will consist of 51,210 square feet and 17 parking spaces.

The University seeks to grant easement, or permission for the City of Bloomington to use Jordan Avenue from Third Street to Seventh Street. The action will be part of the Jordan Avenue Corridor Improvement Project, an initiative set to improve non-motorized transportation.

The University is also pursuing approval for the disposal of .6 acres of real property.

The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. Thursday in the Executive Board Room of the Administration Building. The group will reconvene at 8 a.m. Friday in the Student Activities Center.

Carmen Heredia Rodriguez