Student film showcase sells out IU Cinema

entFilmSeries

The IU Cinema was sold out Wednesday as friends and family filled the cinema in support of student filmmakers releasing their films.

One student’s parents flew in from Singapore to see the Student Narrative Shorts Program, which features student-made films.

Robby Benson, who some might know as the voice of the Beast from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast,” taught a class about the production of film this semester. His students’ work was featured in the program.

Before students came to class in August, they had to develop the idea for their movie and turn in a script two weeks before class began, senior Nathan Erdel said.

Benson worked with students throughout the year to get their scripts ready before they began filming.

Students said they gained their passion for films in different ways.

“I made short news segments in high school and never thought it was something I would fully pursue,” senior Nick Jaicomo said.

Senior Brandon Walsh said he became passionate about filmmaking after making films with a friend in high school.

Their passion for filmmaking was finally realized as they sat in the audience among peers and observed everyone’s reaction to their films.

“It was amazing, not to just have family and friends there, but also higher-ups from the telecommunications department to come enjoy our films,” Erdel said.

Though each director worked hard on their individual films, Walsh said there was plenty of collaboration within the group of students.

“If the University chooses to make a film school here, this is what it should look like,” he said.

Benson said he made sure the films were shot with industry quality and
etiquette.

“Our professor made sure we got consent anywhere we filmed at, which is something you have to do in this industry,” Erdel said.

Once the evening was finished, the student directors said they felt a sense of accomplishment.

“This was one of the best courses I have taken at IU,” Jaicomo said. “I learned more than I learned in any other course.”