sports women's basketball

Loyd joins coaching staff

spIUWBB

IU Coach Curt Miller announced Monday that Curtis Loyd will be joining his coaching staff as an associate head coach.

Loyd, who spent the past four seasons coaching at Minnesota, has 17 years of experience coaching college basketball. Miller and Loyd worked together as assistants at Colorado State during the 1998-99 season before going separate ways with their careers.

“We are excited that Curtis has accepted our offer to join our program,” Miller said in the team’s press release. “We had tremendous interest as I spoke to numerous candidates, but I kept coming back to Curtis as the right fit for our team. Curtis brings great power conference experience to the Hoosiers, including the last four years in the Big Ten.”

Loyd worked as an associate head coach for Minnesota the last two seasons after working as an assistant coach the previous two years.

He helped lead Minnesota to the third round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament last season with an overall record of 22-13.

Prior to his time at Minnesota, Loyd spent a season coaching at Akron.

Before that, he spent time as an assistant at Virginia, Arizona and Colorado State.

Loyd now joins a staff that also includes assistants Brandi Poole and Kevin Eckert. Jimmy Colloton, who served as an interim assistant coach in 2013-14, will return to his role as video coordinator for the team.

“I am so blessed and honored to be joining the Hoosier Nation and Indiana University,” Loyd said. “The tradition of the University’s academics and its ties to athletics goes a long way into making Bloomington one of the nation’s top college sports towns.

“I’m excited to work with Curt Miller and eager to get involved with him and the staff right away. They have already set a winning tone, and I hope to be able add to that and build on the already strong tradition at IU.”

Sam Beishuizen