Kinsey Institute brings radical sex research to IU

Kinsey

How men make decisions about sexual partners, how mood affects sexual arousal in women and what prevents couples from using condoms are only some of the topics on sex being researched at IU’s ground-breaking Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.

The Institute has been a source of research and information about these topics since 1947.

The Institute is named for IU’s Alfred Kinsey. Kinsey famously gathered histories of sexual behavior in thousands of interviews, which culminated in his book “Sexual Behavior in the Human Male,” published in 1948.

This was followed by his “Sexual Behavior in the Human Female” in 1953. The volume surprised everyone when it became a best-seller, according to the Kinsey website.

The Kinsey Institute offers a library, art collections, events, an active research program and the Kinsey Confidential website.

For example, the Kinsey Institute has 250 original prints by Wilhelm von Gloeden, who is known as the first photographer of the male nude.

The gallery showcases select pieces from the Institute’s collection of art, artifacts and photography.

The Kinsey Institute reception area is open 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The library and special collections are open 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m., but they are not open to the general public.

Reservations must be made for public tours by calling 812-855-7686 or emailing kinsey@indiana.edu.

Have questions about birth control, sexual dysfunction, condoms, orgasms or sexual assault?

Kinsey Confidential is a blog and podcast website from the Kinsey Institute that provides information on sexual issues for college students.

Questions can be submitted anonymously at kinseyconfidential.org.