sports baseball

Strong batting leads to win for baseball

CAROUSELspBaseballGame

The Hoosiers’ bats powered the baseball team to its seventh-straight win Wednesday, knocking off Indiana State 8-4.

Junior outfielder Brad Hartong led the way for IU with two hits — one was his second home run of the season — and four RBIs. Hartong has played in 21 of the 29 games this season, with yesterday’s game marking only his 14th start.

“He went first pitch slider to me, so I knew I’d probably see it,” Hartong said. “I got another one in the at-bat, and he left it up and I put a good swing on it.”

IU Coach Tracy Smith said Hartong helps the Hoosier lineup, saying his athleticism helps the team on the field.

“He was the difference and kind of set the tone,” Smith said. “He had a big hit for us Sunday at Iowa and it’s nice to see him carry that momentum and that confidence into this game.”

Junior first baseman Sam Travis hit a three-run home run, his third of the season, to break the game open in the sixth inning. Junior outfielder Will Nolden got the other IU RBI with a double in the second that scored Hartong.

“Now everyone is relaxing and staying concentrated throughout the game,” Hartong said. “We’re coming to the yard expecting to win now, not fighting to win.”

Senior Brian Korte got his first start of the season on the mound for IU. He went three innings giving up one run on three hits, while striking out four Sycamores.

Freshman Thomas Belcher came in and threw four innings following Korte, giving up two runs on two hits with three strikeouts. He got into some trouble in the seventh and was pulled for sophomore Sullivan Stadler who was soon replaced by sophomore Evan Bell.

Sophomore Scott Effross finished out the game for IU.

“The plan was to break it up and even use more guys than we did,” Smith said. “I thought Brian Korte was really good, and of course Belcher came in and threw strikes.”

It was the second time this season Belcher had thrown four innings, the first occurring during a game against Louisville.

“It feels really great,” Belcher said. “It was important for me to go out there and eat some innings for our pitching staff. My sinker was working really well tonight.”

The Hoosiers (19-10, 8-1) split the season series with Indiana State (21-9) with the win, after losing a couple weeks ago 12-8 in Terre Haute, the team’s last loss. Smith has seen improvement since then, the last game his team lost since sweeping Ohio State and Iowa.

“We knew we had a good offensive team,” Smith said. “We never were in panic mode, but it sure makes your job easier as a manager when you’re scoring runs.”

Freshman left-hander Ryan Keaffaber started on the hill for Indiana State and went two innings, giving up one run on one hit and one strikeout.

Typically a reliever, it was a group effort pitching-wise for the Sycamores, as it was for the Hoosiers.

“We are very confident as a pitching staff that whoever we put out there is going to compete and get us outs,” Belcher said. “We know we have guys that are very capable of performing at a high level.”