education

State to help fund childcare for low-income families

Indiana is increasing the amount of reimbursement given to childcare providers who care for children from low-income families.

The FSSA is trying to help low-income, working families find affordable care for their children, according to an Indiana Family and Social Services Administration press release.

Beginning in May 2014, the FSSA’s Bureau of Child Care will increase the reimbursement amount for childcare providers who accept vouchers from the federal Child Care Development Fund.

Marni Lemons, deputy director of FSSA Communications and Media, said families have to apply to be a part of CCDF and find a provider who is willing to accept them into the program. Then, the provider is reimbursed.

Families who are members of CCDF receive financial assistance in the form of vouchers. According to the CCDF, 23,809 Indiana families and 44,145 children are receiving vouchers as of March 2014.

She said the program encourages those involved to increase their ranking and improve their Paths to QUALITY level.

The Paths to QUALITY program rates childcare providers on four levels.

At level one, a child’s basic health and safety needs are met. At level two, the environment of the provider encourages children’s learning. At level three, a planned curriculum guides children’s learning and helps children prepare for school. At level four, the childcare provider is nationally accredited.

The amount of increase of reimbursement will vary based on the Paths to QUALITY program. Level four childcare providers will receive the highest increase in amount of reimbursement.

According to the FSSA, level two childcare programs will receive a 10-percent increase from the base rate, level three programs will receive a 20-percent increase and level four programs will receive a 30-percent increase.

Lemons said what makes the Paths to QUALITY program so effective is that it encourages providers to move up levels and improve their education program.

According to the release, the biggest barrier to work for low-income families is finding child care.

The program makes sure there are more spots for low-income families at high-quality day cares, Lemons said, many experts say a child’s brain develops the most from birth to school age.

According to the FSSA, improving childcare programs often costs money and the new reimbursement rates will help cover these costs.

Lemons said this program is just one part of an ongoing effort at FSSA to improve childcare and pre-K education and help children prepare to learn in school.

“Our goal is to not only ease the burden of finding affordable child care for low-income working families but also to help improve the overall quality of care available to all Hoosier families,” said Melanie Brizzi, administrator of FSSA’s Bureau of Child Care, in the press release.

“Increasing reimbursements will help ensure that high-quality providers are able to continue to serve low-income families.”