'Muppets Most Wanted'

Muppets Most Wanted

When a franchise has been alive and kicking for almost 60 years, it’s definitely doing something right. Think James Bond, Star Wars and countless horror movie franchises that never seem to die.

Since their TV debut in 1955, the Muppets have been an American staple. And now Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and the Swedish Chef are all instantly recognizable characters to younger generations thanks to 2011’s “The Muppets,” which grossed $165 million and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.

“Muppets Most Wanted” picks up where “The Muppets” ended, so literally you can still see “The End” written in fireworks in the sky as the film begins. It isn’t long until they’re knee deep in their first musical number, appropriately titled “We’re Doing a Sequel.” It’s this self aware, tongue-in-cheek attitude that keeps the Muppets hilarious to the 16 and above age bracket.

Bret McKenzie, thankfully returning to pen original songs after the brilliant work he did in the 2011 film, doesn’t seem as assured this time around. Songs like “I’m Number One” and “The Big House” pack plenty of laughs, but you don’t skip out of the theater humming them.

This time the stakes are also lower, which is curious when you consider the Muppets are touring Europe to keep their brand afloat and priceless art is being stolen by Constantine, the world’s most dangerous frog who happens to bear a striking resemblance to Kermit. Also along for the ride are Ricky Gervais as Constantine’s number two, Ty Burrell as a thoroughly European Interpol agent, and Tina Fey as a formidable Russian prison guard.

Despite the addition of those three fine performers, the film suffers from the absence of Jason Segel and Amy Adams, both such gems in the 2011 film.

Half the fun of any Muppets’ adventure is the blink-and-you’ll-miss-them barrage of celebrity cameos. Everyone from Lady Gaga, Celine Dion and Christoph Waltz stop by for some quick fun. R&B crooner Usher even pops up as, you guessed it, an usher at a wedding. Josh Groban shows up for what pays off to be a downright hilarious bit part.
Even when you feel like the cast, both human and Muppet, isn’t having as much fun this time around, “Muppets Most Wanted” delivers an adventure worth paying attention to.

Their unapologetic and cheery brand of merriment is refreshingly free of cynicism and perfect for children and adults who still feel like children.