Leggings are pants

Last week I got dressed to go to class and threw on a pair of leggings, to which my boyfriend said, “Leggings are not pants.”

I started to wonder why this opinion is prevalent in a society where women are free to wear whatever they want. Leggings cover my whole lower half, so why do people insist that they are not pants and should not be worn as such?

The answer I got back was that leggings are too tight and show off too much of a woman’s body. Leggings show no more skin or curves than tight skinny jeans, tight cotton skirts or daisy duke shorts. Yet these are “acceptable” for women to wear.

We need to take a step back and realize that by shaming women for wearing leggings, we are regulating how she can present herself in public. Are people really offended by a woman showing off her curves? In the words of YouTube star Laci Green, “everyone has a butt.”

We don’t go around shaming people for wearing tight shirts, so we shouldn’t  go around shaming them for tight pants.

But, the most important argument for leggings is that Audrey Hepburn wore them. No one would dare call her a slut, so stop judging the girl sitting next to you in class for her fashion choices.

Jessica Albright

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.

LETTER: Disability harassment happens on our campus

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington